Why paste the wall ?

Ooooops .. i just dropped this into uk.rec. scuba !! That will confuse them .... maybe they will connect with possible bubbles :-)

Anyway .. I have some wall paper that instructs you to paste the wall not the paper. Why ? What if I DID paste the paper ?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

It might disintegrate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

These instructions are not terribly helpful as there are walls and Walls.

Usually means the paper is a bastard to apply as it will either disintegrate or stretch completely out of shape.

If the wall is a piece of blotting paper you will be wasting your time with one coat. Apply one coat and allow to dry, then paste again and apply the paper.

Reply to
ericp

Much the same as sizing the wall then?

Reply to
Usenet Nutter

I recently hang some very expensive (like £50 per roll!) paper which said to paste the wall. It also said to use ready-mixed paste rather than mixing my own.

So I did, 'cos I couldn't afford for it to go wrong! Ready mixed is apparently PVA-based rather than water-based, and doesn't make the paper go soggy. The bits to be trimmed off after hanging are dry, and much easier to trim with a sharp craft knife than when you apply water-based paste to the paper. Another reason for *not* pasting the paper is if it's not spongeable - 'cos you're less likely to get paste on the face of the paper if you paste the wall.

I was somewhat apprehensive when I read the instructions which came with the paper - but it all worked out ok.

Oh, another thing with this expensive paper - when I came to hang it, I found that it was 27" wide rather than the usual 20/21" - and I had worked it out on the assumption that it was normal width and had bought one roll too many. The shop wouldn't take it back 'cos it was special order, so I'm stuck with a roll I can't use.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Thanks to all replies.......... the wall surface is good, for a change ... so I will try the reccomended method. I did use a similiar product before and I pasted the paper instead, and in a fiddly area it did not quite match perfectly. I can now see why.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

I don't know, but when I first came across this sort of paper, I just pasted as normal and brushed it out onto the walls, with no problems at all, but this may have been up to 25 years ago. Things may have changed since.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Cheers Roger for sharing your experience ...... this paper is French ... will have a good read of the label tomorrow !

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

Is it for writing french letters with ?

Reply to
geoff

Sometimes non absorbent papers work like this. There is no need for them to soak and soften etc, so pasting the wall is much quicker and easier.

(anyone remember Novamura ofr years ago?)

At best you would be making it harder work than it needs to be...

Reply to
John Rumm

IME it means the face side of the paper is very likely to stain if paste gets onto it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I thought one of the benifits of pasting the paper & leaving it to soak was that it made the paper more flexible & able to cope with uneven walls?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It's obvious, if you paste the paper you stick the paper to the wall. If you paste the wall you stick the wall to the paper.

I'll get me coat ;)

Reply to
brass monkey

Sadly a lot does get there and beyond.

Ah... that's what you think.

Fast forward some years to when you damage the wall, need to expose the wall replace a cable or run a new cable, you already have some wallpaper left over. That is a lot cheaper than having to buy all those =A350 rolls again in the future - which might now be out of fashion making wallpaper selection an expensive process re time, fuel, hunting around.

At my mother's there are 5 areas of said wallpaper, beyond =A350, with old lighting wiring, lead cleats etc. Fortunately there was just enough wallpaper left over to permit the provision of oval conduit drops & modern backboxes - the old wiring was put back after making off afresh, at some future date it can be replaced without trashing the place. Within 12 months the papers have all matched extremely well - joins I had to do in one area totally invisible (hairdryer to shape, exceptionally sharp blades, ensuring plaster perfect). The saving in wallpaper cost alone would have been thousands as a great many rolls re hallway, large rooms, complex patterns of a great many colours with mica.

It is well worth sinking conduit or oval before decorating - for existing cables as well as future Cat6, satellite and so on even if not used and covered over (photo with tape measure).

Follow wallpaper instructions carefully, particularly with expensive papers and keep everything very clean or you end up with wallpaper raised around specs of dirt. If the wall is very absorbent use a plasterseal paint - Dulux do one.

Reply to
js.b1

In most cases that is true. The paste the wall ones IME are either the very soft almost polystyrene feeling ones like novamura which are flexible and stretchy anyway, or the really decent quality lincrusta type papers that are more akin to "wall lino" and designed to cover and mask any "features" in the wall.

Reply to
John Rumm

Gack!

Reply to
Gib Bogle

It won't decompress and end up with the bends.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I'd pva the wall first. Using paste as a sealer is not very efficient, it being 95% water

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Just to repeat .. the wall is sound. I will check what the manafacturer reccomends.

I wonder what the future holds if someone wanted to remove the paper and just emulsion the wall after useing pva or paste type products containing it?

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

You nearly got it !

From uk.rec.scuba a suggestion was made :-)

It allows the wall to stretch and become supple enough to fit your paper.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike