Filling cracks in a ceiling.

What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the traditional?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whatever you do to fill, they will probably re appear again with the flexing of the ceilings.

If it is a flat ceiling, do it with lining paper.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I filled settlement cracks in our sitting room ceiling a couple of years ago with silicone sealant, then painted over it. Might have been acrylic, come to think of it, I used what was in the gun.

None of the cracks has opened, presumably a flexible medium is better than plaster.

Cue Anna ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think it must have been acrylic Mary as silicone just does not like paint over it.

Definitely! Failing that - on a flat ceiling, paper is the easiest way.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Ah yes Mary can I hire you as my agent :-)

The perfect answer is for me to put coffering all over the ceiling. It will hide the cracks and you will be hiding from the bank manager

I'd use a modern flexible filler, myself ...

Anna

Reply to
Anna Kettle

You'd have been fed up if it had been silicone in the gun - silicone and paint don't go together.

In my experience (extensive) acrylic sealant is not impervious to settlement cracks either. Line it.

Edward

Reply to
teddysnips

Fill them in before plaster skim.

Reply to
George

They have hessian scrim over the joints. And is already skimmed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No I ean with a flexible filler and then the scrim. ;-)

Reply to
George

Oh - you mean rip it all down and start again?

Thanks. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Polyfila ripple stuff works very well. Just roll it on and all cracks just disappear!

MM

Reply to
MM

Oh yes please! If you can afford my fees I'll be able to afford the coffering :-)

Reply to
Mary Fisher

You'd have been fed up if it had been silicone in the gun - silicone and paint don't go together.

In my experience (extensive) acrylic sealant is not impervious to settlement cracks either. Line it.

Well it's fine foir all of you to talk about lining it but this is a 71 year old ceiling which was lined when new and then papered with bubble Anaglypta. Then painted many times. I reckon that to strip it would be to find laths ... the present paper is structural :-)

Mary

Edward

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Yes, Dave, some folk have no other life :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

=A0 London SW

Yeah. Rip it down and blame it on the quake last night :)

Reply to
marpate1