Filling cracks in a ceiling.

What's the best way to fill cracks between skimmed plasterboard on a ceiling? Any of the modern materials better and easier than the traditional?
--
*And don't start a sentence with a conjunction *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Whatever you do to fill, they will probably re appear again with the flexing of the ceilings.
If it is a flat ceiling, do it with lining paper.
Steve

I filled settlement cracks in our sitting room ceiling a couple of years ago with silicone sealant, then painted over it. Might have been acrylic, come to think of it, I used what was in the gun.
None of the cracks has opened, presumably a flexible medium is better than plaster.
Cue Anna ...
Mary
Mary Fisher wrote:

I think it must have been acrylic Mary as silicone just does not like paint over it.

Definitely! Failing that - on a flat ceiling, paper is the easiest way.
Steve
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:02:59 -0000, "Mary Fisher"

Ah yes Mary can I hire you as my agent :-)
The perfect answer is for me to put coffering all over the ceiling. It will hide the cracks and you will be hiding from the bank manager
I'd use a modern flexible filler, myself ...
Anna
--

~ ~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation

Oh yes please! If you can afford my fees I'll be able to afford the coffering :-)
<thinks - haven't checked the ceilings since last night's 'quake - it woke us - but one of the chimney pots is now leaning so needs urgent attention>
Mary

You'd have been fed up if it had been silicone in the gun - silicone and paint don't go together.

In my experience (extensive) acrylic sealant is not impervious to settlement cracks either. Line it.
Edward
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 10:42:25 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The Polyfila ripple stuff works very well. Just roll it on and all cracks just disappear!
MM

You'd have been fed up if it had been silicone in the gun - silicone and paint don't go together.

In my experience (extensive) acrylic sealant is not impervious to settlement cracks either. Line it.
Well it's fine foir all of you to talk about lining it but this is a 71 year old ceiling which was lined when new and then papered with bubble Anaglypta. Then painted many times. I reckon that to strip it would be to find laths ... the present paper is structural :-)
Mary
Edward
London SW

Fill them in before plaster skim.

They have hessian scrim over the joints. And is already skimmed.

London SW

No I ean with a flexible filler and then the scrim. ;-)

Oh - you mean rip it all down and start again?
Thanks. ;-)
--
*The older you get, the better you realize you were.

Yes, Dave, some folk have no other life :-)

Mary

Yeah. Rip it down and blame it on the quake last night :)