Cracks in a traditional ceiling

Is there any reason why cracks in a traditional (early 1900's) ceiling can't be treated, at least cosmetically for the medium term, by using the tape which joins together modern plasterboard sheets, skimmed over and then painted with something reasonably gunky?

Reply to
Roland Perry

Skimming over existing paint can be hit and miss. Usual technique is to apply PVA and skim whilst still slightly tacky. It is unreliable and can fall or flake off.

The way I have seen with your issue is to widen the crack and apply caulk, and then repaint. Caulking will be more flexible than a thin layer of (skimmed) plaster.

Reply to
Fredxx

No, but in fact plyfilla and sanding my be all you need it its just shrinkage

Or do that then put lining paper over and paint..

lining paper or even brown parcel paper is remarkably strong

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 14:15:26 on Sun, 23 Sep

2018, Fredxx remarked:

Wouldn't it help to apply some plasterboard tape over the widened crack?

I suppose the issue is: what does one fill the crack above such tape with.

Maybe a modern flexible adhesive at ?5 a tube, rather than caulk at ?1?

Reply to
Roland Perry

You can, but it's making the job unnecessarily large. Just wipe some filler on with a finger, job done.

Don't gauge the crack out, it's a foolish practice.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Depends very much how much movement there is and in which directions. Some Victorian houses seem to move a heck of a lot! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There is no method that is guaranteed to succeed. Apart from removal and renewal.

Applying scrim with a PVA mixed with plaster gives the best chance. EG.

harry

I've found a good flexible filler like decorator's caulk works well - but since it shrinks will need several applications to get an invisible joint.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , at

07:04:48 >> Is there any reason why cracks in a traditional (early 1900's) ceiling

The whole ceiling????

That's precisely the scheme I was asking about. Will probably give it a go then.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Yes. Hence you needing a flexible filler. But even that won't cope with a lot of movement. But then neither would brand new plaster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1

And if it moves then, IMLE with late 19th lath and plaster ceilings here and in neighbours' houses, opening up the cracks on is one for the bold and courageous. OTOH papering a ceiling is a _lot_ easier than it used to be using Wallrock Fibreliner or the like which is very forgiving of being pulled, pushed, wrapped around a head, left soaking while you have a brew...

Reply to
Robin

If it is a lath and plaster ceiling then I've got a 1940's Odhams "Practical Home Handyman" which devotes a chapter to repairing lath and plaster (with diagrams). I can scan them and e-mail them if you wish.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Flexible fillers have nowhere near the necessary amount of flexibility to prevent recracking. Either the ceiling's going to move more or it's not: if it does, it will crack regardless of what you do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Or you could put them up on the DIY Wiki for us all to refer to at need.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

copyright. Wiki could link to them though.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , at

12:07:43 >> >

Do you mean it would crack somewhere else, or that the joint constructed of flexible filler would open up?

My idea was to use non-flexible filler but to bind the edges together with fibreglass reinforcing tape. The plaster would first have to be slightly ground away to make the final result flush, of course.

Currently the cracks aren't actually opened up, but the filler from a previous decoration attempt (could be 10+ yrs ago, but I don't know) is proud of the surface and looks bad.

Reply to
Roland Perry

either, if the ceiling decides to move more.

lots of people have that idea. It's a waste of time.

Yes, so many people do that. Wiping it in with a finger means nothing is left proud, no problems down the line.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

In message , at

01:07:23 on Mon, 24 Sep 2018, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

What's the undesirable consequence - tearing of the reinforcing tape, or a crack somewhere else.

Would you suggest we simply sanded the proudness down, and repainted?

Reply to
Roland Perry

As the book was published in 1948 and Odhams are long gone I'm not sure there would be a problem with that. I've now got it scanned as a PDF so if anyone wants to have a look I'll mail it and if people feel it is useful I'll put it on the Vikki or park it somewhere it can be linked to.

Reply to
Peter Parry

  1. as I explained if the ceiling wants to crack it will. Plasterboard is not strong enough in tension to resist the wishes of moving woodwork or masonry.
  2. it's a waste of time
  3. it makes a mess of the finish, which then needs correcting

if you can do that, great. A lot of people seem to decide they can't. Bear in mind that paper is not sandable to any practical extent, so it can only work if the ceiling is already skimmed, which they usually are.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr