ceiling cracks

Hi,

I live in a house approximately 30 years old. I have lived here for 2 years and since then, all the upstairs ceilings show a crack on one side only of the ceiling where it meets the wall. The cracks run the length of the ceilings on all cases. There are no cracks downstairs, or on any other part of the ceilings. The ceilings are typical 70's artex style.

The cracks vary in size from probably 1mm to 3mm. I wouldn't say they have got any worse. I am assuming that these are due no normal house expansion and contraction, or is there anything else to be concerned about given the information I have provided?

I am also looking for a solution (preferably the easiest) to hide the cracks, hopefully so they do not reappear in the near future.

Thanks

James

Reply to
James

Ceiling cracks are normal. Materials expand contract and move, and have different thermal expansion coefficients etc. If your brickwork isnt cracking apart too, no worry.

You cant prevent cracks appearing. Flexible fillers are an attempt to do so, but IME arent successful in that respect.

sfx: crash, thud, dust everywhere.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I was going to suggest mastic but as you say the cracks will reappear. The reason is that the scrim wasn't applied properly and there is no way to undo that mistake. Buy a length of 1/4" dowel beading and fix it with a few pins and that vinyl mastic.

Personally, a little mastic every so often would do the job for me.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer