Wallpapering a ceiling

I propose papering my kitchen ceiling with 1200 grade lining paper.

Apart from allowing the paper plenty of time to absorb the paste prior to offering it up to the ceiling, is there anything to be gained from sizing the ceiling?

If so what indication of paste strength would approximate size: weaker than paper hanging strength or stronger?

Do I allow it to dry or become tacky or what?

The aim is to provide a clean smooth surface, and disguise a few thread cracks in the plasterboard that will in any case be hidden above cupboards, prior to painting with something in pure brilliant white.

Any suggestions as to what paint? i.e. shall I bother with kitchen/bathroom anti condensation paint.

The kitchen has (or will before it is next used as a kitchen) an extractor to the outside world.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

If you are going to all the trouble of putting up lining paper - which is pretty thin anyway - even painting it will not hide anything but the smallest imperfections.

Why not consider using blown vinyl instead? It will hide all imperfections - and the joints if hung properly - and makes for a far more interesting ceiling. - Plus it is easy to strip off and replace when you get fed up with the pattern even when painted. I personally don't have a plain ceiling in the house, and none of them are artexed!.

To make a real good job, if you have not done all ready add some coving first.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Gibson

very true, 1200 grade doesn't hide imperfctions at all, ime

blown vinyl is definately the way to go, father in law even used it to cover very poor (crumbling) plasterwork when he removed some wallpaper at a house he's renovating. he was faced with either hacking the plaster off and doing it properly as he usually would or trying to cover it with blown vinyl. he did one strip to see if it worked, it worked a treat.

RT

Reply to
[news]

No need to size the whole ceiling but we always apply a strip of standard strength paste to the ceiling say six inches wide along the joints. This technique with blown vinyl or similar is the way to go.

Pete

Peter Stockdale

In message , "[news]" wrote

Not in a kitchen!

Reply to
Alan

Because?

BTW we've finished lining the ceiling. (And we're still married which seems a miracle!!)

Richard

Reply to
Richard