Wallpapering advice please

I've just removed some textured vinyl wallpaper. It separated from the backing layer quite easily leaving a (mostly) intact layer that looks like lining paper.

I'd like to put proper lining paper over this and then emulsion.

I've looked at various sources and found conflicting advice about this. Some say you need to go back to bare plaster, others that some vinyls are designed to leave a lining paper-like layer behind that can be reused (although I don't know whether this was one of those or if I just got lucky).

It's a 1930's house and I would really like to avoid stripping it if I can because I don't want to risk disturbing ancient plaster.

Can I paper over it?

Should I size it first?

Can sizing be done in advance (and allowed to dry) or should it be done just before the paper is hung?

I've seen people recommend dilute PVA as an alternative to (diluted wallpaper paste) size and others saying this is a terrible thing to do. Is it good or bad?

Reply to
mike

You can paper over this if it's in good nick - only you can decide whether it's good enough. Size it in advance with whatever takes your fancy - PVA or wallpaper paste, but be aware that the existing paper will probably bubble when you do.

If it were mine, I would strip it back to bare plaster, size and hang 1200 gauge lining paper - the best way to do this is to leave a few mm between lengths, allow to dry then run a blob of fine filler down each seam with a clean, sharp scraper, leaving a seamless finish, allow to dry, then paint.

Reply to
Phil L

Since you've already - in effect - got lining paper on the wall, why not just paint *that* rather than putting more paper on top of it?

Reply to
Roger Mills

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

Good question, and it would be great if I could but it's "mostly" intact and it has a slightly rougher, more furry texture than lining paper where it's separated from the top layer, so I think it wouldn't look quite right painted directly.

Reply to
mike

I'm at the about to paper stage, having stripped back to plaster. I've been advised to lay the paper horizontally - it better covers sins. How easy is this?

Rob

Reply to
Rob

The gap method has never worked for me. The texture of the filler is significantly different to the lining paper and shows up as stripes.

Reply to
stuart noble

mike spake thus:

Try it with any old emulsion you've got lying around - it will probably confirm your doubts but if it works well you've saved yourself a pile of bother.

Reply to
Scion

It's not too bad, but I wouldn't bother if you are just going to paint it afterwards - it's usually applied horizontally when it's to be papered over with a finished wallcovering, this is so that the top paper and lining paper don't end up joint for joint.

Reply to
Phil L

OK, thanks, I'll stick to vertical. The guy that told me about the gap idea suggested a 'high quality fine filler'. Stuart (above) seems to have encountered a problem here. Perhaps:

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Fine surface filler is fine, but don't use ready mixed - it's often got solvents in it which I find don't allow it to set as smoothly, nor allow it to be sanded to a very good finish - use dry powder and mix it with clean water

Reply to
Phil L