wallpapering new plaster

Any advice would be appreciated on wallpapering new plaster. I blocked in and plastered a window a few days ago. How long should I wait before wallpapering?. Does the plaster need "sealing" first? Thanks Neil

Reply to
Neil

It's traditional to apply size[1] to the plaster, but I think most people just apply a coat of thin paste and let it dry before papering.

[1] a sticky solution of starch - I don't know how easy it is to buy these days.
Reply to
Rob Morley

Got some size the other day, hidden in the B&Q wallpapering section. Stops the new plaster sucking the wallpaper paste dry before you havd had a chance to position the paper properly and shrinking the wall paper. Sized wall other day, (like very runny paste), faffed for ages around mixing paste, re-arraning table, scissors kife etc etc applied to lining paper, hung to wall and all is fine this morning ready to paint.

Reply to
Ian_m

Papering is one of my favourite jobs - it's a shame that it's so often preceded by stripping and filling and sanding :-\

Reply to
Rob Morley

I love it when you do a lining paper job and the joint cannot be seen.

I hate it when you do a lining paper job and a line the size of the Panama canal opens up between the paper !!!

Reply to
Ian_m