Crap dot and dab, visible joins

Just painted our newly plastered hall. The problem is when painted all
the joins between boards are visible and to be honest they look awful
in certain light.
Plasterer dot and dabbed. Anything that can be done to cover them up
other than re-skimming?
Reply to
hoicem
Can't you get the plasterer to come back and do the job properly?
If the joins are visible then either tape/bandage wasn't used or used properly or the skimming wasn't done properly.
Reply to
Andy Hall
I'm currently contemplating getting him back but that would mean yet another delay. :-/
He didn't use tapered edge boards, he did use tape though. I'm guessing he just hasn'y used enough plaster.
Reply to
hoicem
Mmm... but you're already unhappy with it....
Taper edge boards are more important if the boards are just being jointed at the edges rather than being skimmed all over. If they are to be skimmed then this is less important.
One other thing to check is preparation of what is now a painted surface so that it can take plaster again. At least roughening and a bonding agent would probably be needed
Reply to
Andy Hall
I had a plasterer like that. He failed to realise that his job was not just to put a constant thickness of plaster over the boards, but to produce a flat surface. Don't know how he got work. Of course if the boards are too uneven - but yours did the boards himself ! Simon.
Reply to
sm_jamieson
Flat matt paint wouldn't show up defects as much as vinyl silk. Which did you use?
mark
Reply to
Mark
Newly plastered, dot and dab!
Did you give it long enough to dry before painting?
Try giving a few more days to dry out completely. If shading does not disappear give another coat of paint and see how it goes from there.
Reply to
Heliotrope Smith
Well, yes, that's a thought. There's only so much a plasterer can do in a day without letting it dry out a bit, which is why they're always darting from job to job
Reply to
Stuart Noble

Site Timeline Threads