Dot and dab.

If that's the correct name for fitting plasterboard to brick. How easy is it? I'm useless at proper plastering. Any tips? The area will be tiled afterwards.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only ever done it on small areas, a couple of times, but it was very easy (I can't plaster either). Need to be careful to get adjacent sheets flat/level.

David

Reply to
Lobster

PVA the brickwork and whip the adhesive up into a nice mousse-like consistency. I'm no expert either, but good suction is what you're after, and you know after a couple of minutes whether you've got that

You can always pop a screw in here and there if you get anxious. I remember doing that at the last moment because I thought the board might flatten the cat during the night :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

You might consider investigating a 2-3 day plastering course nearby. I was also useless, but I'm now better than the plasterers I hired (if not as fast). I and others have posted quite a bit about plastering, but there's no substitute for being shown how to do it and doing it yourself under tuition.

Trouble is you'll find friends inviting you round more often, with the classic comment "and can you bring your trowel?" I plastered a friend's bathroom, including completely replacing the ceiling a few weeks ago, and that's far from the first time (well, it was the first time for _that_ bathroom)...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Erm! as easy as riding a bike.;-)

Brush down the brickwork if it looks dusty? if you think you cannot slap the adhesive onto the wall? then lay the plasterboard down and drop dollops of the adhesive in all four corners and at the edges in the middle and then some randomely where there's room.

Position board were you want it then tap it into place using a lenght of wood and a hammer. Put your level on it and tap it more to get it level.

Reply to
George

No (in neither case)...

From OED online:

horrific, a. Causing horror, horrifying

terrific, a. (n.) A. adj. 1. Causing terror, terrifying; fitted to terrify; dreadful, terrible, frightful.

The first recorded usage of 'terrific' in it's more commonly used modern way is not until 1930:

b. As an enthusiastic term of commendation: superlatively good, ?marvellous?, ?great?. Also Comb. colloq.

1930 D. G. MACKAIL Young Livingstones xi. 271 'Thanks awfully,' said Rex. 'That'll be ripping.' 'Fine!' said Derek Yardley. 'Great! Terrific!'

So: glad to have cleared that one up. God, before you know it I'll be writing to the Times or Private Eye.

Now, back to dot and dabbing.

David

Reply to
Lobster