polish attachment for angle grinder

Hello,
Has anyone used a polishing attachment, like screwfix #13007 and are they any good? I thought I'd ask before I tried one (hoping to polish out those scratches- see my chrome pipe thread).
Is an angle grinder the best thing to use for polishing? It seemed a strange tool to choose for polishing; I associate them with more destructive pursuits!
TIA
On Sat, 31 May 2008 08:51:17 +0000, Fred wrote:

=================================I haven't tried the mop in your reference but I think you would get better results with a cloth buffing mop (with buffing soap) something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/3kfx6o
Most decent toolshops sell these and you can use them in a standard drill so much less fierce than an angle grinder. You might even find one in one of the jumbo kits sold for drills.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

No experience of but I'd have thought it could be too fast.
There are a few chrome polishing kits on Ebay eg item #290232717735
cheers, Pete.

Speed isn't an issue - you need plenty of it to keep the mop stiff and stable - but using a 6 inch mop in a hand tool is going to be no fun at all. Three inches is going to be a lot easier to control - but you'd probably need a mains drill for sufficient speed/torque.
A hard polish would be the best bet - something inbetween the standard brown ( lustre ) soap and red Rouge. These are typically white soaps ( such as Hyfin ). If you can shield the job ( and yourself ), you can use a cream polish like Autosol.
I don't see why an angle grinder buffing wheel won't work ( buffing is just another form of grinding anyway ) - but I'd be careful to ensure the tool is absolutely clean before fitting the buff.
Regards,
www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Polishing out defects on small areas is more associated with a dremmel or clone of a dremmel drill. Although chrome is a thin skirt applied on a steel pipe and my instinct tells me polishing will do more harm than good?

Yes, these synthetic pads are pretty good. Better than lambswool for polishing metals, a bit fierce on paint though - if you ever "rub an edge" they burn in no time.

No, it's about 4 times too fast! The polishers are the same basic mechanism, but with an extra gearbox to slow it down. About the cheapest (and certainly the ugliest) is Axminster's "White" range one, where the extra gearbox is very obvious.
For small stuff, use an electric drill. You might find an adapter to fit that pad, or else a drill-mounted pad.
For small stuff on chrome, try a Dremel and a felt bob.

Used on a polisher - yes. Used on an angle grinder they will be a new and interesting way of losing a few faculties like sight. It _isn't_ an angle grinder attachment and will self destruct if used on one. They have a safe working speed about a quarter or less of an angle grinder and are meant for use with item no 29997 which goes at 600-2800 RPM.

Only if you like a really exciting life. Assuming you could attach a polishing bonnet to an angle grinder a 4.5" grinder has a no load speed of 10,000RPM and speed at the circumference of the disc of about 130MPH.
If you tried polishing a pipe there is a fair chance the pipe and polishing bonnet will grab. Either the pipe will have a short but happy life as a whirling dervish or the angle grinder will develop a life of its own and shred a few things.

Correct.
saying something like:

Far too fast for polishing - you'll get bits flying off the mop and burning of the paint, if that's what you want to polish. In fact, I'd say that an AG used for polishing could be dangerously inappropriate.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

I use one for aluminium, but that's with a 3M rubbery pad with abrasive fingers moulded into it - designed for angle grinder speeds..

Angle grinder is WHHy to fast for a Polishing/compounding Sponge you need 600/1500 rpm max You need one of these http://www.toolsbypost.com/product_pp.php?id '93&category1
to use a sponge safely
-