Wallpaper over textured walls

Having just purchased a house where the owner had a fetish for Artexed walls I now wish to paper over them. The texture is about 1-2mm deep, I don't want the hassle of sanding it all off.

I've heard of a filler that will smooth over the wall but know nothing about it. Can anyone give me any suggestions?? Andy

Reply to
Fy13rt

The only way to get a proper smooth finish would be to put a skim coat of plaster over it.

Julian Ashcroft

Reply to
Julian Ashcroft

Polycel have a product which they claim will do this job.

Reply to
Mike

You'll be wanting to cover it with woodchip then! ;-)

Reply to
Paul C Lewis

Don't sand it as most old artex contains asbestos fibres!

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Fy13rt wrote

I think if it was my place I'd want to get rid of the Artex if at all possible. I've never tried it, but as my Artex ceiling soon peeled off when the HWC began leaking, I would imagine it would also come off fairly easily with a steam stripper.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Taylor