Glazing an external door

I am fitting a new external door this weekend and need to buy the glass in advance. I have measured the glass panels - how much is recommended that I knock off the exact measurements to give the glass cutters to ensure a good fit? (I thought 2mm?).
Thanks
TrueBlue wrote:

I have always measured and specified aperture size to them and let them advise. Phil
Depends on the size of the rebates - if half inch that gives one inch overall spare so the glass size could be as measured dead, less say 1/4 inch overall. Check the diagonals - if not square then you might need more allowance. Its better to have a loosish fit otherwise shrinkage or other movement might stress the glass. You also need toughened or laminated glass for a door.
cheers
Jacob

I think it is more like 1/8". Any more and you have problems puttying.

snipped-for-privacy@jpbutler.demon.co.uk (jacob) wrote in message

That's a sweeping generalisation.
It believe it depends on where the glass is in relation to the floor level.
Anyone know?

level.
Less than 1500 mm above floor level ( Building Regs Part N, Sectiion 1.1b )
Under some circumstances, if small panes are used, then you don't need "safety glass" either.