Cleaning Textured Vinyl Flooring

I've got some textured (non slip) vinyl flooring in the workshop (I think it's Rhino flooring)

See it here:

or

Now, it is VERY hard wearing but I just can't get it clean. In the doorway I have a doormat and when this is lifted the flooring looks like new.

I want to return the rest of the floor as close to this if possible. I've tried many domestic vinyl floor cleaning products but NONE gets the dirt and grime off to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know of a product that will get this vinyl flooring clean? either used neat or diluted?

Reply to
Enrie Membership

I'd be interested in the answer. I've got some textured vinyl in my conservatory which is looking a bit grimy.

I keep meaning to try my steam cleaner on it, but haven't got around to it. Anyone know whether that would be likely to work?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Try a microfibre type mop.

or

Are you sure that the colour hasn't changed/faded due to UV (sunlight) and the bit under the mat hasn't because sunlight has been blocked?

Reply to
alan_m

Havent a clue and this suggestion may not work either . As a kid I decided to help mum and clean her kitchen floor it was only ever mop cleaned. it was those square vinyl tiles.

I got a stiff scrubbing brush and a tin of Vim a type of scouring powder. After the first square foot I regretted it as the fekcin things came up like new and therefore had to keep going, took me about 2 hours for a small kitchen floor. Mother was delighted though. So some type of scouring powder and hard work may do the trick.

ss

Overnight soak with bleach or washing powder. I usually use bleach, it's much quicker.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, I use bleach on mine. I leave it for about half an hour. It works well.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It may contain asbestos. Many old vinyl floor tiles did. Almost definitely if they are pre 80s. So you don't want to go abrading them as it releases the asbestos fibres.

harry

I'd suspect its scratched and the dirt is in the scratches. It can also fade if the sun is on it, it depends on its quality and age. I've never comeup with much that does not, in tiime affect such surfaces adversely. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Depends what might have been put down on it before. I tried steam cleaning the vinyl floor in my kitchen, but it had a floor polish (John Lewis I think) used on it for years. It all just turned into a sticky mess, which took me ages to clear off by hand. The floor still doesn't look clean. I'll be interested to see if this thread leads to anything.

Reply to
Davidm

The flooring manufacturers sometimes have commercial cleaning solutions that might be more effective.

Steam cleaning with a microfibre mop head may be effective, but don't melt the vinyl or the adhesive underneath.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Are you sure it's not stained rather than simply surface dirt? If it is stained, you'll never get it clean.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Abrading should be a last resort - the micro scratches then harbor more opportunities for staining.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

There isn't one. Or at least there isn't one to restore it to as new condition.

Vinyl flooring has a soft clear wear layer about 0.25mm thick above the pattern layer and (sometimes) a top thin urethane surface coating on top of that to reduce scuffing.

Although very robust the clear layers, especially the wear layer, are relatively soft and the surface quickly gets covered in fine scratches. These collect dirt and cannot be completely cleaned. The more abrasive a cleaner you use the more effective it will be at creating a temporary clean appearance at the expense of making more abrasions so the floor will get dirty quicker.

The one way which does work moderately well is detergent plus a very firm scrubbing brush (marine short bristle deck brushes work well) and pressure. Unfortunately this takes time and most people have better things to do than get on their hands and knees with a stiff scrubbing brush and lots of water for an hour or so once a week.

Some people have reported some success with steam cleaners but no matter what you do the floor is still covered in surface scratches which collect dust and dirt and will revert to looking discoloured fairly quickly. It isn't possible to make them look like new again.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Oh... the ignorance... ...That is what bleach is for..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What I had in mind was if the stain had diffused/dissolved into the 'plastic' of the vinyl, such that it became in effect a dirty-coloured vinyl. Unless the bleach can also diffuse into the vinyl, it won't be effective.

I wonder if the OP has tried bleach.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

But bleach doesn't actually clean it, it just turns the dirt white. The dirt will soon pick up 'dirt colour' again.

Reply to
Chris Green

In message , Peter Parry writes

Oh good. I won't bother trying then :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Call it "shabby chic" ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Would hydrogen peroxide work better than household bleach?

Reply to
alan_m

incorrect. It does not remove limescale, in hard water areas that can be removed with some acid.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr