Cleaning vinyl floors

Is there a good cleaning solution for vinyl flooring? My kitchen floor seems sticky after mopping,when I walk on it.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Herb

Household ammonia. Use about one cup to a gallon of warm water. A scrub brush cleans better than a mop. Wet an area, allow it to "rest" for 5 minutes, scrub, and sponge dry.

Reply to
Phisherman

I doubt that your detergent is the problem. Almost any detergent should work. Sticky floors are, almost 100% of the time, caused by over use of detergent and/or mopping with dirty water.

Detergent directions are written to accommodate an expected soil load. Your floor might not be dirty enough to justify using the recommended amount of detergent: you probably need much less. Next, make sure your mop water isn't getting too dirty. If that's happening, you're just redistributing the soil--in a more uniform layer. No matter what size bucket and/or how much detergent you use, that quantity of solution will only hold so much soil. After that, the soils starts going back onto the floor.

I've cleaned more than one place that had so much "soap" residue on the floor that I didn't have to add any to the mop solution--for a day or two. Customers sometimes ask, "How did you get the floor to look so good?" And they are puzzled when I tell them that I didn't use any detergent. Granted those are extreme cases, but we can lose track in our homes, too.

A clean floor is never slippery or sticky.

When I die, I want to go where dogs go!

Reply to
Michael A. Ball

It might be from wax build-up. The people who lived in my house before me must have waxed the floor regularly without ever stripping it. It was a horrible mess and was sticky. I think the owner used one of the one-step clean and wax products. I stripped the floor with a product by Armstrong called "New Beginnings." The also make a decent cleaner (One and Done" and wax Shine Keeper. I have found these produces at Lowe's and most anywhere that sells Armstrong flooring. One I had the floor stripped, I waxed it and then just used hot water with a little cleaner. I eventually replaced the floor.

Vox Humana