Are there different qualities of vinyl fences?

I'm thinking about replacing my existing wood fence with a vinyl fence. Does anyone know if there are different qualities of vinyl or have any experiences they're willing to share regarding vinyl fences?

Thank you.

Reply to
Stuart Benoff

Stuart Benoff wrote in news:d04n3p$7ij7$ snipped-for-privacy@netnews.upenn.edu:

I asked a man at the fence company just last week. He says that after a while the vinyl gets "funny". I still have a wood fence that was put up 25 years ago, but with galvantized steel posts. As long as no one hangs onto the wood, it's fine.

Reply to
Pasar

My parents hated theirs because it retained dirt and was very difficult to clean. Other people seem happy with what they got. Some have different structural designs.

Reply to
Art

Yes, both in material and thicknesses, fabrication, etc.

How well they do depends in large part, imo, on how harsh the climate is--particularly heat/UV. Here, after a few years, I've yet to see any that haven't sagged and/or discolored. (Not that other materials don't have problems, too...)

I'd look around wherever you are and observe existing ones, particularly ones that have been in place for a while and see if you can find out which are what manufacturer or ask the reps for installations in your area--again I'd ask for some that weren't new.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Thanks to all who have responded.  As Duane suggests there is a quality difference in the thickness of the product and the fabrication. Some manufacturers do not carry the outside coloring throughout the thickness of the product therefore deep scratches can appear as discolorations.  I recently checked the products carried by stores such as Home Depot and Lowes and found them, in general, to be of lower quality that those available from fence companies.

Thanks aga Stuart Benoff wrote: I'm thinking about replacing my existing wood fence with a vinyl fence. Does anyone know if there are different qualities of vinyl or have any experiences they're willing to share regarding vinyl fences?