wallpaper stripping, vinyl

I have a couple of walls of vinyl wallpaper to strip - will one of those steam strippers work on this kind of paper? I don't have one but thought to hire one for the day. The bits I've peeled off already separate from the backing - which stays firmly on the wall! (the old joints feel it doing this stuff by hand now...)

Reply to
dave

It should work. I use a tool to score the wallpaper first so the steam can penetrate the paper and you don't have to peel of the top layer first.

Reply to
Mark

The idea is that you just pull the plastic off and paper over the stuff left if it is firmly fixed.

Whilst not a perfectionist, this is shoddy work and it does need stripping. It should soak up water easily and surrender to a scraper very easily. Steaming should not be needed.

Reply to
EricP

There was a similar sort of question asked on the 27th October

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

You'll need to make holes in the vinyl to let the steam through Tools are available google back in this group as it's very recently been dicussed.

For the price of the hire you can buy one and then you don't have to worry about getting it back before the shop shuts...

If all the vinyl will peel off the just soak the backing as per normal and scrape of. A steamy stripper does make this easier and cleaner as there is less wet in the strippings and they dry quickly.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

meow2222

Also depends on the state of the plaster underneath. On older houses (1960's and earlier) the bonding coat underneath the top layer of plaster is very course and often weak. Using a steam stripper can easily cause the plaster finish layer to blow off, specially on vinyl where the temptation might be to hold the steamer in one place for longer. Worth trying on a patch first! David

Reply to
DavidM