plywood, hardboard or else

Hi I am trying to install dryer vent. I am going to mount the vent cap on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

thank you so much.

Reply to
leza wang

I was installing two air vents with glass block today, in a cinderblock wall. I wanted extra support, I used 2x8 treated lumber. I spray painted it before I mounted it with Pl Premium.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

If you are concerned about a raccoon getting in, you sure don't want to use a cheap plastic or aluminum vent. A raccoon can weigh 40 lbs and are as strong as you are! If they want in the vent is the easiest route.

Steel vents are made for supplying combustion air to wood burning stoves, but they have screens and are made for air coming in. I don't know if there are versions for exhaust air.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

thanks Greg, the board should not be thick otherwise it want fit in the window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide it in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

Reply to
leza wang

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

thanks Paul, i would love the idea to use a metal, not sure if home depo cut metal? i live in Toronto, Ontario. so any idea where i should go to get a metal piece? thanks once again

Reply to
leza wang

window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide it in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

Hi, PT board like 1x6 one is around. If it is still too thick, how about planing? Also cold winter weather has to be considered.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide ith in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

thank you for your reply .. what is pt board? what do you mean by "planning"? yes cold/snow weather should be considered as well. thank you so much.

Reply to
leza wang

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up.

metal? i live in Toronto, Ontario. so any idea where i should go to get a metal piece? thanks once again This is similar to what I used:

Do a Google search on "steel dryer vents" and look at what is available. I don't know what prices and availability are.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture h ttp://images.houseofhepworths.com/2012/03/12dryer_vent_window/dryer_vent_2_ hoh_6.jpg my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.

Leeza, What happened to the vent that you showed in a picture in an earlier post? You could replace that with an aluminimum vent, and then connect that to t he pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 deg ree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal out put of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe goes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pipe/v ent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a vent pipe coming through the wall.

Reply to
hrhofmann

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.

My question too.

pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 degree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal output of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe goes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pipe/vent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a vent pipe coming through the wall.

What became of the grey box that the current vent is connected to. The far side was the laundry/furnace room. So why can't the far side be connectred to the dryer? That pipe didn't look like a furnace chimney or a dryer combustion air exhaust, so wasn't it for the dryer warm air exhaust?

pt means pressure treated.

Before you close off the glass window with plywood or something, is there any other source of natural light in that room? When the bulb burns out or there is a power failure, it's nice to have the light of the window.

Reply to
micky

And pressre treated means treated with liquid under pressure so it seems as far into the wood as possible and keeps it from rotting in wet weather. Used for decks, etc . I think my fence posts are pt and probably my original rails, but my pickets and new rails are not.

Reply to
micky

window. basically the wood will be act as one window slash so i have to slide ith in. does the treated lumber comes as a thin sheet like plywood (around 1 cm in thinness)

yes cold/snow weather should be considered as well. thank you so much.

Hi, PT = pressure treated. You can make board thinner using plane. Spend some time at HD, Lowes, Rona browsing around. You will be able to pick up an idea.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

To elaborate further, a raccoon can also shred apart wood in a matter of minutes. If they really want in, not much of any wood will stop them. Since the OP is using a thin piece, that won't stop a raccoon.

Reply to
Meanie

on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a pie ce of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

2_hoh_6.jpg my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not b e able to tear it up. thank you so much.

? You could replace that with an aluminimum vent, and then connect that to the pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 d egree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal o utput of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe go es up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pipe /vent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a ve nt pipe coming through the wall.

thanks for the reply, that pipe i traced it and it is for a fan which is mo unted inside a wall. i do not know i might disconnect that fan and use that pipe for the dryer. i really think it is good idea. what you guys think?

Reply to
leza wang

on basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a pi ece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this pictur e

_2_hoh_6.jpg my question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.

o the pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 degree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal output of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe g oes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pip e/vent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a v ent pipe coming through the wall.

i agree, it is not good idea to close off the window. that pipe is for a fa n in the wall in that laundry area. i might use it for the dryer vent. i re ally think it is good idea and will save me a lot of work. what you guys th ink? and thanks once again

Reply to
leza wang

basement window. I will cut the window screen and mount the cap on a piece of wood and then place it on the window. similar what is in this picture

question: is it better to use hardboard or plywood or else? I want something strong so it can last also animals like raccoon will not be able to tear it up. thank you so much.

You could replace that with an aluminimum vent, and then connect that to the pipe that you are connecting to the back of your dryer. I have a 90 degree adapter that goes on the back of my dryer to convert the horizontal output of the dryer to vertical output, then the aluminimum flexible pipe goes up and makes gradual bend to horizontal and then it connects to the pipe/vent that goes through the wall. Your earlier picture seemed to show a vent pipe coming through the wall.

mounted inside a wall. i do not know i might disconnect that fan and use that pipe for the dryer. i really think it is good idea. what you guys think? I'd like to see a picture of the fan, inside the laundry room, before deciding

Reply to
RBM

Why does this raccoon want it at all. I've only had a raccoon once, that I know about. He was going through the outside garbage can. When I took flash pictures of him, it didn't seem to bother him a bit. But he did leave a few seconds later.

He never tried to get inside afaik, and I leave my basement window open all summer, except for a vinyl window screen, Well, it's open

5" x 5", but I think that is enough for a raccoon if he wanted in.
Reply to
micky

Leza,

Planing is done with a plane. It's a way of removing wood from a board. Planning is never done with home projects.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

:

[...]

thanks RBM, please see the video below

thank you.

Reply to
leza wang

:

[...]

please see this video of my laundry room. thank you.

leza wang