Uncovering the Hidden Danger: GE Dryer's Lint Trap Problem (2023 Update)

Model GTMP200EM1WW

Since purchasing this unit in August of 2012 we have experienced significant accumulations of lint at the exterior vent cover which does open and close freely and in the walls of the dryer unit beyond the lint trap which is cleaned after every load. We are cleaning the exterior vent cap at least three times yearly.

Close examination of the area where the dryer lint trap is installed reveals that there is a large gap on each side of the fitting in to which the lint trap screen is inserted which allows vented air to bypass the lint trap mechanism. Lint then enters the vetting system, builds up in the immediate dryer wall area and accumulates on the exterior vent cap. We have never experienced this issue with any previous dryer. It appears to be a design flaw and I am wondering what we can do to eliminate this lint bypass issue. I have attached a link to a picture of the area I believe is the problem.

The area allowing lint bypass of the screen system is the dark triangular area in the upper left corner of the side perforated panel. It would appear that air is to pass through the peforations and lint is not but this open triangular area allows lint to bypass the collector.

Reply to
Dennis Lougheed

It sounds like you may have a lint buildup problem with your GE dryer, which can be a fire hazard. To address the issue, you can try a few things:

  1. Clean the lint trap thoroughly after every load: Make sure to remove any lint buildup from the lint trap screen and surrounding areas, and check the exhaust vent for any blockages.
  2. Seal the gap around the lint trap: You can use high-temperature silicone caulk to seal the gap around the lint trap, which will help prevent air from bypassing the trap.
  3. Check the exhaust vent: Make sure the exhaust vent is properly connected and free of any blockages. If the vent is clogged, it can cause the dryer to overheat and increase the risk of fire.
  4. Have a professional inspect and clean the dryer: If the problem persists, you may want to have a professional inspect and clean your dryer to ensure that it is functioning safely and efficiently.

If you are still having issues with lint buildup, you may want to consider contacting GE for further assistance. They may be able to provide a solution or offer a warranty repair.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

On 1/21/2014 12:02 PM, Dennis Lougheed wrote: ...

Looks like one could take a small piece of screen and make a filter for the corner...we've a roughly-same-age GE but I don't remember the specific arrangement otomh. I'll try to take a look and see how compares and post back any further ideas if that engenders any...

Reply to
dpb

That'll have to be the way...

On looking, the one here is basically the same altho the corner is smaller than appears in the photo--but that could just be angle, etc., from the picture.

Anyway, the problem is they had to cut the corners off the plastic filter sections to enable it to slide out the opening--if the "missing" corners were there, then they would hit the upper portion of the opening and couldn't get it out for cleaning.

After looking here, I'd try metal duct tape for the purpose and make it to cover the opening.

Reply to
dpb

Please repost or send me the picure as I have the same problem with a new ge gas dryer I bought from Lowes. GE told me it is normal an blew me off. I did have the exhaust professionally cleaned.

Reply to
davecarden

I'm guessin' you'll have to send this again to say who you are replying to, or writing to, or what thread you are referring to. Why not just quote the whole thing? How many years old is the post.

(Doggone google.groups posters don't know how to do anything right.)

Reply to
micky

I have Model number GTD18GSSJ1ww

I was having the same issue. Lots of lint clogging up the exterior vent cover and lint all over my back porch. Called for a repairman who was no help at all. At one point I even found a dryer sheet had made it through to the porch.

I found a fix! I took a piece of 1/2inch foam that had adhesive (peal and stick) and I stuck it around the lint trap in the dryer. It closed the gaps and works like a charm. No more lint getting to the exterior.

I wonder why the GE engineers couldn't fix this?

JMS

Reply to
pathwaystojoy

JMS: Would you be willing to take a picture and show what you did with the foam? I have the same problem with lint all over my deck and inside of dryer vent line.

Thanks in advance. snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
huntsf

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

I have problem with lint in my navel; why doesn't my dryer work?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Direct a hair dryer to your navel to dry the lint. Best to use only medium heat.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

But then the lint goes to my swetty balls...

Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to pathwaystojoy, Gary wrote: Mine is doing this as well

Reply to
Gary

Gary posted for all of us...

Datz nize

Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

Nope, I wonder if they have an app for that?

Reply to
Tekkie®

We here on the parent ship don't know what his complaint was, so we can't fairly comment.

Reply to
micky

He was responding to an original post from 2014, in a thread that was last active in 2017:

Cindy Hamilton

If the dryer vent pipe is routed through a cold crawl space, the warm moist exhaust air and lint will condense on the inside of the vent pipe.

If the washing machine does a poor job rinsing and a soap residue remains on the fabric, that 'soap-enhanced' lint will build up on the inside of the vent pipe.

But the 'lint from Hell' is that gooey waxy lint caused by fabric softener that clogs the dryer vent pipe. You might have to use a putty knife to remove that stuff. Fabric softener is the devil.

Reply to
Oscar

I have the same problem. A 800 dollar dryer and the link trap doesn’t trap lint. This thing is a fire hazard!

Reply to
DJ

Blow it out, outside, with a leaf blower or air compressor. I have revived a couple driers that "did not dry well" this way.

Reply to
Bob F

My 5 year old Maytag electric dryer has the same problem - the lint trap collects about 1/4 of the lint - the rest collects outside in the rodent grill - which I have to clean every month so it doesn't clog completely. I've taken the dryer apart twice to look for a reason and to check the fit of the lint trap internally - to no avail. With our previous dryer - with the same style lint trap - we would clean much more from the lint trap, every load, and only clear the outside grill about once per year. John T.

Reply to
hubops