I have a Whirlpool dryer and the motor just went out for the second
time. I have a technician friend who says that these dryers, with the
lint screen down by the door, collect a lot of lint, and this wrecks
the motor. He says this is also a safety hazard because lint can
collect and can combust. He also says that other brands of dryers,
and even the other type that Whirlpool makes, don't do this, just the
ones with the lint screen down by the door. And finally, he says that
many Kenmore dryers have this same design.
So, I am wondering if this is a common problem for all of you out
there, and if this has caused you problems. After all, if this is
common, then you would wonder why Whirlpool doesn't do something about
My 7 year old maytag has screen below door. Annoying because it does not
clip in securely and if you are sloppy when pulling out the clothes you can
pull out screen too and get lint all over clothes. But the motor is fine.
It's doing exactly what it is designed to do, collect a lot of lint. Lint
left clogging the filter is a fire hazard, it should be cleaned after every
use. Not to be sarcastic here, but you can't expect a representative of
Whirlpool to come over and clean the lint. You should also clean the vent
exhaust piping regularly regardless of make or model or expect a fire to
My 23 year old Maytag has the filter down by the door. No fires, original
An dryer can overheat if the filter is not cleaned after each use, plus it
wastes a lot of energy. I don't see where it is a flaw at all.
I'm assuming you have an electric dryer.
The dryer in the photo is a Whirlpool (or Kenmore - made by Whirlpool) dryer
of the type you most likely have; hence, the reason for your technician
friend's comments about the safety hazard. The heating element assembly is
located in the bottom right hand side of the dryer. Over time, lint settles
on this assembly. If there isn't enough air flow thru the dryer (as would
be the case with a plugged vent or lint filter), this assembly can overheat
and ignite the lint that's settled on it.
If it makes you feel better, I own this exact design Kenmore dryer and have
never had a problem. Just make sure you clean the lint filter after *ever*
dryer load and keep the dryer vent clean and unobstructed.
If you're really concerned, just open the dryer up (obviously, disconnect
the power first) and remove the loose lint inside with a shop vacuum. Pay
special attention to remove the lint that has settled on the heating element
assembly. And you may as well clean the blower impeller while your at it.
Accumulated lint on the vanes can lower its efficiency and reduce airflow.
Any dryer can/will collect lint inside, some sometimes seem to be
better than others at preventing it....also maintenance is
important.....cleaning out the venting system every 1-2 years,
cleaning out the inside inside of the dryer every 2-5 years depending
on useage. Type of venting used can also contribute to the collection
of link inside the dryer.
Pictured is the dryer before we cleaned it and the danger involved in
using the white vinyl venting. I say it again. If you have the white
vinyl venting on your dryer, redo the vent with good pipe and save
your self lots of dollars in power savings and maybe even save your
life from a burnt house. There are many aluminum semi-rigid, flexible,
rigid products that does a good job in venting. Use the white vinyl
stuff if you insist, but don't be surprised when problems occur.
Picture of the dryer (
folks were lucky!! They were right on the verge of a major fire.
Reference model 110.66901690
Appliance Repair Aid
Banister's picture is exactly what I am talking about. My friend says
that Whirlpool dryers with the lint screen in the door area have very
poor airflow design, and they trap lint in the motor area much more
than any other brand or design on the market today. He says this is a
design flaw, and that there is no fix for it. My dryer is hooked to
just a 3 foot tube direct to the outside, and I clean my lint screen
before every use. Even with this care, there was an inch of lint in
the bottom of the dryer.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.