Whirlpool Duet Washer Problems?

Ok, I purchased the Whirlpool Duet Washer and Dryer set and the pedestals through Best Buy in March 2004 and installed them in my new house. The Washer shook like crazy once it hit high spin speed. I returned it to Best Buy and got another one. Second one did the same thing. I had a Whirlpool tech come out and check it out. He put a glass of water in front of the washer to test the floor. The washer shook and the water didn't move. He found out that Whirlpool had since made a kit for the washer to help with the vibration so he installed that. It improved the situation, but we still cannot run it on high speed. We have since moved into an apartment (different floor) and we still are having the same vibration problems.

I want to get rid of these machines and try a different manufacturer. Best Buy is talking like they may only be able to replace the washer with their 'Lemon Policy'. I am in the process of contacting Whirlpool.

Anybody know how I can just get rid of these machines and get all or most of my money back? Thanks!

Reply to
Coop

Before giving up on the washer you might want to put a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under it. May solve the problem. Also the washers may be defective in that I had one with a defective cabinet which sears had to take back. Welding was no good on bottom. Replacement was fine.

If you paid by chargecard and feel the item is defective you might ask the charge card company if you have any options with them. Some cards will back you up against bad merchandise

If you live near Raleigh, NC and the dryer is a gas dryer I might be interested in the dryer.

bottomline though is that these washers shake more than top loaders and the Maytag frontloade which I also owned and recently gave to my parents when I bought the Elite from Sears.

By the way, this is another reason why I purchase stuff like this from Sears. They will meet the bestbuy price and take it back if you don't like it.

Reply to
Art

Plus give you 10 percent of the difference. Sears policy is "Your satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" and instructions to the Sears employee is that "The customer is the sole judge of whether or not they are satisfied". Of course once in a while you'll get a new kid who thinks he or she is saving the company money by denying the customer. In that case just ask to see the manager...even the store manager is always accessible to the customer.

Sears employee with over 15 years.

Reply to
Tom

What I don't understand is how the Sears employees make any money. From what I hear the commissions are lousy. So the employee gets lots of power but little pay. Am I wrong about the pay?

Reply to
Art

Well, I'm going to take my paperwork down to Best Buy and ask to speak to a manager and see where that gets me. Thanks for the Sears advice. My brother used to work there and they would take back all kinds of stuff.

The Best Buy Customer Service Center is not being that cooperative. Best thing would be a replacement washer, but I want to get rid of both of them and try something different.

Reply to
Coop

I, also, wouldn't rule out contacting Whirlpool at their 1-800 customer service number. Whirlpool is pretty good about seeing that their customers are taken care of. Very important, however, when contacting them to be sure they get the impression that you are a life long customer and are really surprised that you are having a problem. And your quest is to see if there is anything they can do to help you out of your situation. The old adage about sugar being better than vinegar. I've seen major manufacturers like Whirlpool and GE authorize dealers to take back appliances and return them to the manufacturer for pre-approved credit.

Reply to
Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: "Art" Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2004 3:03 PM Subject: Re: Whirlpool Duet Washer Problems?

I agree that commissions aren't what they used to be..but then what can you expect when the market becomes flooded with competition. The average customer pays $399 for a washer, now, and that is what they paid back in

1978 when I started selling appliances. The machines are much improved over those old machines, too. The trend is to eliminate commission and go to an hourly wage. This could be good in the long run as it will get rid of the salespeople who will only wait on the customer looking at the $1300 washer thus ignoring those who have less to spend. I managed to retire the first time after 15 years at age 60 with a pretty good nest egg in my pension and 401k. Couldn't stand sitting around the house so went back to the new Sears Hardware and Appliance formatted store. Work part time..hourly wage that I feel is competitive and am able to devote my attention to everyone coming into the store regardless of whether they are looking at a $29 microwave or a $1500 refrigerator. The atmosphere is so much better...you don't have 10 people standing around like vultures on a limb waiting to swoop down on the first customer to even look towards an appliance. We used to watch people get out of their cars in the mall parking lot and if they so much as turned their head towards our dept when they came in the door, one of us would be off and running towards them. Finally, I get the feeling that our customers seemed to be relieved when they find that we're trying to help them make an educated decision on a purchase and not just trying to maximize the commission we receive. Tom G.
Reply to
Tom

Well, my trip to the Best Buy store and discussion only led to, "You will have to call the 1-800 number." They will probably just send the same stupid Tech out. Time to call Whirlpool and see what happens.

Reply to
Coop