Whirlpool gas dryer motor repair

My 15 year old whirlpool gas dryer has screwed up again. It has been progressively worse at drying time over the years. The drum does not want to start spinning and buzzes. I can manually help it and it starts to spin.

I think that lint got into the blower wheel housing and in the motor and jammed it up.

I cleaned out the blower housing and blew out the motor.

I don't have it off yet, but it appears to be a split phase motor with a start winding.

I am speculating that the start winding is toast or the contacts that kick it in are jammed or pitted. Anyone try to resurrect a motor in this condition?

The dryer is not worth putting a new motor into. The run winding is fine cause it drying clothes now...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Take the motor to an electric motor repair shop. If the windings are still good the repair may be quite reasonable.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I was hoping someone has tried to take one apart before and knew the tricks to revive it. I was hoping the start winding switch could somehow be repaired. Thats assuming the start winding itself is not fried.

Bob

Reply to
bob urz

Hi, If the motor has a starting capacitor, maybe that one is going bad. Capacitor does not cost much.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi Bob,

If your dryer's one of the 29" wide Whirlpools (lint filter pulls out the top), the motors are generally not repairable, but are epoxied or welded together. I grew up in my Dad's motor repair shop, and it's frustrating to see them made this way, but that's progress, I suppose.

What you're describing is nearly always caused by binding bearings, a very common failure in one that old.

The good news is, that motor, part #279827, is only $76.50 new, maybe even less locally, and that's less than repairing one even if it were feasible. And they're not hard to replace if you're a little 'handy'.

I also have a downloadable pdf step-by-step photo manual available to walk you through it, for $6, if needed.

Hope that's helpful. Let me know.

Thanks, and have a great '08!

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com drs[at]sosbbs.com

Free home appliance tips from a 35-year pro repair technician! Save a service call! Get your monthly email newsletter here: (No 'strings' attached!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish