Hardboard verses wallboard on a wall for crack reinforcement

My reason for considering this is to fix the cracking problem that keeps re-occurring in a small bathroom. The crack starts on the corner of the pocket door and of course, angles up from there diagonally. So ... I'm wonder if the hardboard instead of the sheetrock would cure the cracking problem and if I should cover it with wallboard or just mud it. The wall area is 4x8.

Reply to
Dave L

Dave L posted for all of us...

The first step is to determine why the crack is occurring. Since you state it is near a bathroom then I suspect that water is getting into the framing. Your first step would be to remove all the wallboard (or borescope) and inspect the framing. The strength of the wallboard is not the problem or solution.

Please post a follow up.

Reply to
Tekkie®