Hardboard verses wallboard on a wall for crack reinforcement

My reason for considering this is to fix the cracking problem that keeps
re-occurring in a small bathroom. The crack starts on the corner of the pocket
door and of course, angles up from there diagonally. So ... I'm wonder if the
hardboard instead of the sheetrock would cure the cracking problem and if I
should cover it with wallboard or just mud it. The wall area is 4x8.
Reply to
Dave L
Dave L posted for all of us...
The first step is to determine why the crack is occurring. Since you state it is near a bathroom then I suspect that water is getting into the framing. Your first step would be to remove all the wallboard (or borescope) and inspect the framing. The strength of the wallboard is not the problem or solution.
Please post a follow up.
Reply to
Tekkie®

Site Timeline Threads

  • Was at the local Woodcraft today. As I was walking out, I saw a sign for a sale...
  • site's newest in

    Woodworking