Featheredge fencing advice sought

I have some old featheredge fencing that is 8ft tall, that has been nailed to 2 off Aris rails each of approx 110mm x 110mm. These have tenoned into 150mm x 150mm posts.

These have now fell down, posts rotted in the concrete and aris tenons rotted as well.

However the posts are on 2.7m (9ft) centres, and I nee to keep them on the same centres

As I do not want to use such big posts and arris rails. What can I get away with. And how deep must the posts go.

Any advice is sought. TIA

Reply to
ukagent

Not uncommon to go as far apart as 10' centres with featheredge fences, but I'd suggest that 2 arris rails arent enough with an 8' tall fence.. I reckon you need 3 arris rails.

110mm is about standard with arris rails, I don't reckon you will find any smaller. You can use galvanised arris rail brackets instead of tennons - much easier. 100mm x 100mm posts are standard, as are 75mm x 75mm.

To hold an 8' high close boarded fence I'd want the posts 2' into the ground.

If I'm repairing an old fence & reusing most of the old f/e boards I find it faster & easier to screw them to the arris rails rather than nail them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

1/3 of post needs to be in ground ... if you concrete in wooden posts - they will rot. Why not use concrete H posts .. they will never rot. I used these .. and built a wooden fence between each pair of posts. Arris were 4"x2".

I did around 130m long run of this - and only ever wanted to do the job once !

The big advantage with H posts is that the fence is rock solid in high winds ... no movement at all in last weeks 100mph storm. I also used concrete gravel boards so bottom of fence is not touching the ground ... I mixed my own masonry paint colour to get the posts & gravel boards to match the finish satin of the wood .... unless you go up an inspect, you would not know it's not all in same wood.

If you want details of how I did this let me know

Reply to
Rick Hughes

I'm not convinced of the longecity. Ours are showing surface erosion after about 10 years -- should last a lot longer though.

Concrete posts at work have worn out in about 50 years, when the concrete spalled from the reinforcement. I don't know how well made the H posts are.

I had the odd panel (interwoven) blow out of H posts acouple of years ago with the flexing due to wind pressure.

Reply to
<me9

Yes I will definetly go for 3 rails, but would the the triangle arris rails be OK as opposed to the D type ??

I must admit I am not gone with galvanised brackets, I always use them for repairs only.

But as I was thinking of using 6 x 4 timber posts and notching them for the arris rails. I suppose I could get away with 4 x 4 and use galvanised brackets and not notch them. But would the brackets support all that weight ?? especially as the posts are on 10ft centres.

I try and get concrete and wood posts 2ft in the ground on all 6ft fences.

Reply to
ukagent

Arris rails are by definition triangular. I've only ever seen arris or cant rails before, not spotted any D shaped ones?

Not pretty granted, but quick!

Galvanised brackets will hold just about any load a fence will put on them. I prefer to screw them in place rather than nail.

Reply to
david lang

which is why I said I only want to do the job once - I won't care in

50yrs time - I won't be around.
Reply to
Osprey