Renovating featheredge cladding... tips and advice sought

I have a rather large cabin at the end of my garden.. for the fairies ;) Its 14m long x 4m wide and was built several years ago.

It's cladded in featheredge boards and is looking tired in places. The boards (6"x10mmx5mm) came pressure treated and are single fixed with 35mm galvanized clout nails.

Some of the boards have cupped on the most exposed side and pulled the nails.

I want to give the whole thing a make over... replace boards where necessary and refix using a longer lasting fixing, but I want to keep spend down and not redo things which are not necessary.

I was thinking about hiring a screwgun with colated screws (my builder mate has one he calls a gattling-gun, it's not like a plasterboard collator but I don't know it's proper name) and adding additional screwfixings whilst leaving the current nails in where they are still fixed.

So, in summary: Replace badly cupped boards Go over entire surface adding screws in addition to clout nails Treated the whole thing once done

What would you recommend in the way of fixings, method, treatment products etc?

Ta muchly... deano

Reply to
deano

don't know it's

t nails in where

I dont know if you could simply turn the cupped boards round and refix them, if they're in ok shape. Or if the cupping isnt too bad, just use longer nails on them as is.

I prefer nails for sheds, theyre far quicker, and normally ok. If you get a trouble one you can use a twisted nail for better grip, or repalce it with a screw.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Welcome to my 'other' topic... while I'm not trying to electrocute myself with my bathroom cabinet :)

I think the boards that have cupped are destined for the bonfire/bin... they are crsecent-moon cupped and as dry as a witches t*t! Although reversing them was a nifty thought!

I might look at annular/ring shanked nails and a gun to fire them with, although that why I was looking at a 'screw' gun loaded with self-piloting screws, if such a combination exists!

Have to consult my tool hire supplier... North London Plant Hire are very helpful.

Reply to
deano

with my bathroom cabinet :)

hey are crsecent-moon cupped and as dry as a witches t*t! Although reversin= g them was a nifty thought!

lthough that why I was looking at a 'screw' gun loaded with self-piloting s= crews, if such a combination exists!

At the end of the day you can use any fixing approach, and any option with the wood. I tend to like plasterboard scrwes, they can go in pilot-hole-less.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I wonder if this excessive cupping is due to a weatherproof finish on one side only?

I have said before how surprised our builder was when feather edge, fitted and painted one side with Sadolin Extra, shrank to the extent that a strip of unpainted wood was visible.

The boards I currently use for our barns are cut diagonally from 175mm boards so you get 150mm cover which is probably too heavy for garden sheds.

I now pre-paint both sides before fitting. Cupping has not been an issue. Costs a fortune in paint. Sadolin Extra works out about £10.00/litre and doesn't go far on rough sawn timber.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb