Self Leveling Compound

Any tips on putting it down please. I will be doing it in the next hour so would appreciate some advice.

Thanks

Reply to
Samantha Booth

How any bags?

Tools of the trade...Large container for mixing in, household brush drill with mixing paddle.

If possible mix one complete bag to the requirments on the bag starting at either corner of the room farthest from the door pour it down along the lenght of the wall going from left to right or vice versa,using the brush sweep it up against the wall area and spread out evenly. Eventually it'll find its own level in areas with slight depressions.

Yes I have done a small room. :-)

Reply to
George

Hi George

I have bought 1, 25kg bag to do a room 12x8ish. If I need another bag I will have to do it in two parts.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Nooooooo! best get another bag before doing it because if becomes too thin anywhere in the room it'll crack in those thin parts.

25kg bag doesn't go very far you know. ;-(
Reply to
George

OOops already done it George. I have done most of the room albeit it was thin at the last bit. i will buy another 25kg bag tomorrow and go over the thin bits I have done.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

It's only weak, so if you put any of it down too thinly, it'll fail.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Oh! dear,you have just lost its strenght in that area. Doing a two part spread won't give it the strenght it would have had doing it in one go.

Reply to
George

The whole point of flooring screed is that it isn't weak where it's feathered at the edges. I don't know what the OP is using, but certainly the latex type isn't weak.

Reply to
stuart noble

On the contrary, the PVA or latex content means the two will bond well as long as the second coat is applied not too long after the first - i.e not weeks or months later.

Reply to
Bruce

IME the only problem is getting a smooth join between coats. The latex version is pretty resistant to abrasion once it sets.

Reply to
stuart noble

I am using the latex version. I have applied the rest today and managed to cover the entire floor with a 25 and 10kg bag. The join is the best I can get it in the short time it allows you to manipulate it. Is it possible to sand down the join or make it a little neater?

I am putting lino down so it doesnt need to be perfect 100% I guess but its certainly better than what was down.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

See told ya,if ya had waited till you got another bag that riff wouldn't be there.

I had to do a slightly smaller room than you and done exactly what you did...bought only one bag and it did not cover the room fully,hence me informing you to go and buy another bag before laying it down. :-)

Reply to
George

I had done it already before I got your message. I wouldnt have done it otherwise

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Try shaving the high bits with the edge a steel rule or something similar. You can fill small dents with Polyfilla at a push. Not ideal, but at least it will be smooth, which it really has to be for lino

Reply to
stuart noble

Just a thought for the future, sometimes, if they are being helpful, companies might let you take two bags (of 'stuff') with you and let you return one if unused. More likely if the packaging is waterproof or would make any damage obvious and if they know you.

Reply to
Rod

Just re-read my message and it sounded rude, sorry, it wasnt meant to sound like that George. What I meant was I have always taken the advice from posters here who know what they are doing, I had put the first coat down before I read your massage not to do so. If I had read it I would have waited till today and done it all at once. I know have the job of making the join look good.

Sorry again George if it sounded ruse I genuinly didnt mean it to. Sincerely

Reply to
Samantha Booth