Check or Float valve supplier sought

I am building a siphon to equalise the fuel levels between the lobes of the petrol tank on my motorbike.

The standard - and regularly fitted - design consists of a pair of hoses, both weighted at one end, which are dropped into the depths of each lobe. The unweighted ends join at a Tee piece. The third junction of the Tee piece has another length of hose which rises to the filler neck and which acts to purge air from the first two lengths of hose and thus establish the siphon. This third length of hose is sealed, once filled with fuel, by means of a bolt. Thus, access is required and manual intervention involved in purging the siphon.

I'm presuming that a suitable float valve could be substituted for the bolt and that the siphon could become self-priming if the valve was located at a suitable position - possibly just below the bottom of the tank filler.

What do you think and can you suggest sources of suitable valves?

The pipe is 3/4" OD.

TIA

Richard

Reply to
Richard

================================== Just a possibility...

I think non-return valves like those used in general plumbing are sometimes made in plastic for garden hose fittings; you might be able to adapt one. The only plastic check valve I could find with a quick google is this but it may be too fragile for your purpose:

assume that there's no way of fixing an 'U bend' to the bottom of the tank as was the way on older (i.e. ancient) bikes?

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Thanks

I'll take a close look.

My fear is that anything plastic will not be petrol tolerant. The chap that makes the siphon kit has not replaced the bolt solution with a check valve because he also hasn't found one that is petrol proof - actually gas proof as he is in Seattle!!

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
Richard