Quiet Float Valve in Loft

Recently replaced the plastic float valve in the Loft Water Tank which was very quiet filling up because it came with a soft plastic tube (like a plastic bag) over the outlet. Now i have recently fitted in a traditional style brass one with a Ball Float. It has a plastic outlet tube on top of the valve and i need to quieten it down. I'm not sure of what best to do since a lot of plastic now is biodegradable and would just disappear. Grateful for advice.

Reply to
john west

Hmm, is it trickling noise or the rushing of water type noise? If the latter then I guess you do need to make some kind of extension so it goes to the bottom of the tank and fills underwater, but if its trickle then maybe the water pressure is a bit low. Making float valves quiet would seem to be an art that the world has lost of late.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Add enough ping-pong balls to create a floating layer that will stop the water hitting the tank water surface ?.

Or add an inline ballvalve just outside the tank (always a useful maintenance addition anyway) and reduce the flow. Unless you have a huge household it won't harm the recovery.

Reply to
Andrew

Ball valves used to come with dip tubes that would stop filling noises. Anti-siphon regulations did away with those and a floppy tube that would effectively not let water flow back up became an alternative.

I have a feeling that further tightening of the rules now mean that even these aren?t allowed and there *must* be an air gap which is why you won?t find a floppy tube on a new valve.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

What if i were to fit a tube (even garden hose) and have holes running all the way up it on one side? That wouldn't allow for any reverse syphon would it ?

Reply to
john west

Try it and see. Sounds good to me. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Take a thickish plastic bag, cut a couple of centimetres from one edge and heat seal the cut off piece with a pre-heated pizza cutter?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Since no one endorsed the hose with holes idea i guess its a non starter.

I can see from you tube i dont have to buy a pizza cutter to seal plastic. Just a candle and two folded over cut off ends of a baked beans tin pressed up to the be sealed edge.

How though can i get plastic that will not be designed to recycle and fall to pieces with moisture. The heavy duty super market carriers can be thick and strong, but at the same time can still be designed to disintegrate with water.

Reply to
john west

HDPE milk carton?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Too rigid. The idea is that it acts as a hose, transferring the flow to the bottom of the tank, but that it collapses and acts as a one-way valve if it tries to back-syphon.

The sort of clear plastic bag that is supplied to keep things (tent pegs, garden game parts, etc.) in long term might do.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Fair enough. The pizza cutter one is just an idea (that we did use), almost 30 years ago, from a brainstorming session on turning plastic Coca-Cola bottles into water pistols for Run to the Sun (annual custom car event in Newquay).

An offcut of cheap and thin moisture barrier from someone's building project? It'll be waterproof and, if cheap, likely thin and flexible.

I've just had another thought though. How about using a more rigid tube and putting a double check valve in the supply to the tank? I wonder what the regs say about that?

Reply to
Steve Walker

Why not just add a one way valve in line

and forget the collapsible tube

Reply to
alan_m

Eh?

john west snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid wrote: On 11/08/2021 12:24, Tim+ wrote: john west snipped-for-privacy@mail.invalid wrote: Recently replaced the plastic float valve in the Loft Water Tank which was very quiet filling up because it came with a soft plastic tube (like a plastic bag) over the outlet. Now i have recently fitted in a traditional style brass one with a Ball Float. It has a plastic outlet tube on top of the valve and i need to quieten it down. I'm not sure of what best to do since a lot of plastic now is biodegradable and would just disappear. Grateful for advice What if i were to fit a tube (even garden hose) and have holes running all the way up it on one side? That wouldn't allow for any reverse syphon would it ?

Try it and see. Sounds good to me. ;-)

Reply to
Tim+

I did suggest that in another post.

Reply to
Steve Walker

But that won?t make it quieter (this being the whole point of the exercise).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No. I suggested a double-check valve and a *non*-collapsible tube.

Reply to
Steve Walker

The suggestion was to do away of the tube forming a dual purpose. Fit a seperate one way valve and use a rigid tube rather than a collapsible tube.

Reply to
alan_m

I can?t see anything wrong with a hosepipe with a couple of small holes drilled in it. Should make it a lot quieter and prevent backflow.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

It should work. However, it is possible that the holes may clog over time if they are too small, and larger ones may make noisy sideways jets.

It definitely won't meet the regulations.

Reply to
Steve Walker