cistern float valve

The Fluidmaster side entry float valve has quite a long thread where it projects out through the side of the cistern. Is it normal to cut that to suit the distance to the incoming copper pipe, or do you use the nuts to position the unit further into the cistern? Don't want to trim it and find the cut needs to be perfect to get a good seal. TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

Use the nuts to position it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks guv. I was hoping you'd be languishing on the sofa this afternoon :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Waiting for filler to dry actually :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On no account cut it. The end is a special shape to take the fibre washer on the pipe connector. If you cut it, you'll never get it to seal.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Cheers Roger. I knew I shouldn't trust my gut feeling :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Was it a gut feeling not to trust your gut feeling?

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

No, it's purely statistics. My gut feelings are invariably wrong :-)

Reply to
stuart noble