Side-entry fill valve

Anyone fitted a Fluidmaster Side-entry fill valve?

There is almost no information about this on the internet. Even Fluidmaster seem to have little information, and what they have concerns the bottom-entry fill, although I guess in practice there should be no difference. I'm wondering how much it differs from the other "Torbeck-style" float valves, as there are mixed reviews of those - particularly when they jam fully open!

I'm considering using one on the cold-water tank to see if it stops the loud water hammer and "foghorn" we have. I've got it under control by partially closing the isolating valve on the mains water supply to the tank, but that's not really a satisfactory solution.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

No different to any other side entry valve IME

Reply to
TMH

Thanks. A rare post from you!

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Have you tried fitting a flow restrictor?

Reply to
nothanks

Can't say I have. I'd always assumed they were for Torbeck-style valves. The isolating valve being used at present only controls the flow to the CW tank, so I'd assume is effectively acting as a flow restrictor anyway. but it's an idea I'll keep in mind.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Fed up with all the politics.

Reply to
TMH

If it has a large DIAPHRAGM WASHER like this change it and make sure you get it the correct way round they harden with age and cause water hammer

._SL1500_.jpg

-
Reply to
Mark

The float valve was brand-new in November.

Next time I remove it I'll have a look at the diaphragm.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

have you read the feedback on screwfix seems as if PEGLAR have some quality issues I have fitted loads of these in the past without problems and only had to change diaphragm after 10+ years so still think if you fit a new Diaphragm ( perhaps Not from Screwfix) it would cure the problem

-
Reply to
Mark

I think it's a combination of the valve and input water pressure/flow. The original was a Screwfix "cheapie" which had worked well for about 4 years. It started to make a hammer noise a few weeks after the gas CH boiler was replaced. Coincidence?

Taking apart and cleaning the valve would improve (but not completely remove) the noise for a day or two, but then it would get bad again. I decided to replace it with the Pegler, but that immediately turned the hammer into a foghorn. Fiddling with it would again improve things for a while. In fact, once it didn't make a noise for about 4 weeks, then just started again out of the blue, and once it had started rapidly got worse.

Reply to
Jeff Layman