hot water heater blow off valve

i have a new tank and would like to run any eventual output from the valve into my sump pump (about a 7' run).

the valve's got a 3/4 female end. i'd like to use pex, but i don't have a tool, nor the fittings.

i have a suitable piece of 1/2" pex. i know the pex should go around a connector and would be help in place with a ring that is pushed into place.

can i get away with stepping down the 3/4 to a 3/8" barrel which i'd insert into the 1/2 pex and hold in place with a hose connector? i don't think the output will be under severe pressure, and this is a simple solution.

thots? thanks

Reply to
hoops

You do not want to restrict the outlet. Safety devices are sized the way they are for a reason; to take away the overload with no restrictions.

Since this is a blow-off, not a continuous use line, PVC would work as well. Hell, I'd probably just run a garden hose for what you are doing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

i think the water's too hot for a garden hose. are their fitting for threaded pipe to pvc?

Reply to
hoops

The code here (which I believe is typical in U.S.) is the T&P pipe must be the same size & material as the supply line, FWIW.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

Technically, you are correct. But in reality, it takes but a few seconds for a blow off. It is not a supply line, there is no pressure buildup, and the hose is not going to melt in 30 seconds. It is merely a diversion rather than have the water hit the floor as would happen in hundreds of thousands of households.

Yes, there are the PVC adapters.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

you can just put a larger pipe under it with an air gap in a funnel like fashion to catch the water from the blow off valve ....this eliminates any chance of a restriction blocking the saftey blow off...

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Don't you use a garden hose to DRAIN the water heater? Have I been abusing my hose all these years? What will the cops do if they find out?

Reply to
HeyBub

Just use pvc and glue it together. cheap and easy.

Reply to
Lawrence

Yep, that is what I did. Makes a very neat installation. I did use CPVC though but that is overkill unless an inspector gets his panties in a wad seeing PVC on hot water lines.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Keep in mind that if the valve performs its intended safety function, to prevent rupture of the tank when the heating system fails to turn off, there could be a lot of very hot water and steam blowing out of it at pretty high pressure. A large, rigid, well secured line is kinda nice to have and is required by some codes.

Don Young

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young