Gas Hot Water Heater Pilot

I live on the Connecticut shoreline, where we often have significant winds (and hurricanes).

We have a gas hot water heater. When the winds come, the gusts are often strong enough to "blow" that pilot light out. Then I get an AH "Sh**" from my wife as she tries to take a shower and there is NO Hot water.

Is there anything I can install on the roof vent. to prevent (limit) those gusts from going down the vent, thereby "killing" the pilot llight?

Reply to
Dave C

I don't know about that but there very well may be a pilot light adjustment screw which would allow you to turn it up a bit.

You'd be better off still with an igniter system heater with no pilot light

Reply to
philo

Consider getting a flue damper.

terrable

I've never seen a WH with an adjustment screw to turn up the pilot flame. It would probably be a good idea to remove the pilot assembly, check the condition of the orrifice, make sure it's clear, etc.

And depending on the age of the WH, if it's 10+ years old, changing it for one with electronic ignition, as you say, would solve it. Typical life for gas WH's seems to be in the 13 year or so range.

Reply to
trader_4

Thanks, for all of the advise, most appreciated!!

I agree that a new, pilotless model would Solve my problem. As the " No Pilot" situation typiically occurs 6 ->8 times a year and our WH is now working fine, I will defer until I replace the unit.

I was unaware of the Automatic Flue damper option. I will look into that option, using the link provided.

Thx

Reply to
Dave C