Peeling Paint

One of those days where one job leads to another...

I went into my lad's room, to investigate a loose shelf. The bracket was starting to come away from the wall, there was some paint on the bracket from when I last painted the room (18 mths ago). I pulled at it, and to my horror a six inch square 'sheet' of it came clean way from the wall, revealing bare plaster. I pulled at the rest of it, and ended up with this:-

's about the extent that's easily peelable, the rest will only come away in tiny flakes. I'm bemused as to what's gone wrong.

Known history is as follows:-

House built 1985

The outside of that wall faces East, there's no evidence of damp (at present).

At some point between 85 and 2000, the upstairs rooms where reconfigured. There was a wall I think about three foot to the right of the present wall alongside the bed, you can see the different colour plaster.

We moved into the house in 2000. I can't remember what colour the wall was, but I painted it navy blue (you can see that paint where the LH shelf bracket was).

18 months ago I repainted the room white with some Crown paint.

I'm not sure what to do. Do I need to get the rest of the paint off that wall, or can I just sand and rub down the existing boundary between paint and plaster and paint over the whole lot ? What do I need to prime the plaster with, before painting ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Hi Mark I had a similar problem, I pulled off some paint by accident and thought I would try and pull the lot off, but found a lot of it wasnt coming off easily. It's probably due to not watering down paint when it was first painted (on bare plaster), the plaster sucks in the water and the paint forms a layer on top of the paint (this layer you have peeled off - no adhesion to the plaster). I would go round the edges with a scraper, lightly, and take off what will come off easily. Then do a coat of watered down paint on the plaster, add water slowly while stirring the paint to mix well. You might find it blends in ok with the existing paint if there havent been many coats before. If you notice a 'lip' around the edge, then I would go over the middle areas with fine filler, just a light coating of it, then sand down lightly to blend it all in. If the lip is very small then you may get away with sanding down the edge to blend everything in. Hope that helps Ben

Reply to
benpost

A window scraper is good for that.

Reply to