One of those 'Oh Bugger' days

You may recall we had a long discussion on electricity consumption a while ago, particularly the things that keep consuming like chargers, stuff like TVs on standby, fridges and freezers, computers and their ancillaries and even shaver sockets.

I was using an E.on supplied clip on usage meter, and never could get the supply down to zero. I even worried that the supply to our ex shop (attached to the house) was coming through the house meter before reaching the shop meter. That was proved false.

You know where this is going. We have a flat roofed ground floor carbuncle of a bathroom added by a previous owner 40 years ago, and never used by us. It still contains tea chests and stuff I stacked in there after we moved in 15 years ago. Had occasion to go in there earlier today, and happened to touch a heated towel rail, which was hot. Oh bugger, bugger. Yes, electric, and no, I have no idea how long it has been on. 15 years? Possible, but unlikely (I hope!). The master switch is outside the bathroom, next to a light switch (we rarely use), and I suppose the towel rail switch was once switched on instead of the light switch. Bugger. Probably around 500 watts? Dare not work out how many units per annum.

Reply to
Graeme

Unless old, neither of those are likely to be the culprit

Each watt is about £1.20/year, but the duty cycle will mean it's probably only on 1/3 to 1/2 the time, and only when when it's cold ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is always cold in Aberdeenshire :-) No, that isn't true - lovely warm, sunny day today.

Anyway, 500 watts at 1.20 pa, divided by half still comes to 300 pounds a year! Bugger again.

Reply to
Graeme

Oh dear. I always include a neon for that sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A lot depends on whether it has a thermostat. Many don't/didn't.

Reply to
harry

Unless it's a big towel rad then it's more likely to be nearer 200W than

500W.
Reply to
ARW

I think more a cause for celebration that you found it! :-)

Reply to
ss

It has. Now turned right down, just in case ...

Actually, I'll disconnect it tomorrow. Probably.

Reply to
Graeme

Yes, quite small. A square thing no more than 18 inches, which makes me feel slightly better :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Well, yes. It has been a niggle for ages. I *knew* there had to be something, but just couldn't find it.

Reply to
Graeme

I had a bug in my home automation software some years ago, and it switched on a 2kW convector heater whilst I was away for several weeks in the summer (and probably for several weeks before I went away too, but I didn't notice). Fortunately the heater itself has a stat, and it was summer, but it still added £100 to the electricity bill.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I can see that - and worse - being a regular occurrence with Hive. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Personally I like 30 minute -- 1 hour runback timers.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Which are really quite difficult to find, and/or are expensive.

We have a few and so far most have been rubbish, difficult to actuate and fragile. I've just sourced a very cheap one direct from China and it actually looks rather good even though the writing on it is Chinese! The numbers (minutes) are at least our sort of numbers! The only down side is that it's rated at 10 amps so won't handle a full

3kW fire.
Reply to
Chris Green

Lot more effort than a neon. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I picked up a clutch in Aldi on offer.

Quite easy to split the case and fit behind a blanking plate if you want a hardwired version (with some soldering)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog