Bathroom Fan stays permanently on

I fitted a fan for my bathroom a couple of months ago (Dec 31st) and it was all working fine:

- It came on for 15 minutes when the light switch was turned on

- It came on for 15 minutes when the light switch was turned off

(It was wired through a triple pole isolating switch).

I have now put up the ceilings, etc and fitted the bathroom suite and low and behold it doesn't seem to be operating as before.

When the light switch is turned off the fan remains on indefinitely. In fact with the light off the fan is activated as soon as the isolating switch is turned on.

Is there any explanation for this, apart from the fan developing a fault? Have I inadvertently knocked a connection loose (I was confident I hadn't touched anything - not so confident now!).

Thanks in advance

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Can you get to the connections at the fan? If so, turn off all the power to the fan (Should be lighting circuit) Disconnect the switched feed to the fan and tape it up so not to get shocked! Turn the power back on

If it still persists in running forever, it's faulty If it doesn't run (or runs then turns off after 15 minutes) then there is a wiring fault! If this is the case, maybe a screw/nail has been driven through the cable, shorting the unstitched feed to the switched feed (although this would mean the bathroom lights would also stay on too!)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Is it just a normal fan and not one with a humidity sensor? I've got a couple of those and they just stay on unitl the humidity gets to a pre-set level. If it's set too dry they'll just stay on forever. Just a thought.

Alistair

Reply to
Ali Mac

Alistair,

It's just a fan with an adjustable time switch. Screwfix product 25652

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Hang om, are you sure? that doesn't sound fine to me! When the light goes on, the fan should stay on for as long as the light stays on; then will stay on for a while (15 mins in your case) after the light's switched off.

So if it's really doing what you say, I should look for incorrect wiring

David

Reply to
Lobster