Old Jenn Air Downdraft electric range Fan Question

Hi. My range has the switch that operates both the fan and the oven light. When I turn on the fan it runs for about 4 minutes, then stops for anothe r 5 minutes or so, and then starts running again. This pattern continues a s long as I leave the switch in on position.

I'm sure this isn't normal. What part might be causing the malfunction?

Thanks.

Reply to
pyrlady

t. When I turn on the fan it runs for about 4 minutes, then stops for anot her 5 minutes or so, and then starts running again. This pattern continues as long as I leave the switch in on position.

Thermal overload shutoff in the fan motor because the bearings are shot and can't turn freely anymore?

Reply to
trader_4

replying to trader_4, Cynthia wrote: I have a Range Top Jenn Air (central section) Downdraft unit, that came with my house which was built in '87. The fan has always done the same, on/off cycling, you describe which makes it really frustrating and almost useless when using the grill top or griddle function. It takes some time to warm up these plug ins and then it takes some time to get the food hot enough to smoke and splatter, which usually is just about the time it cuts off, and then when you've taken the food off, voila it starts back up. . . (Most vexing!)

The fan comes on automatically when you turn on the plug in unit with the dial knob. It does not come on automatically when you use the burner plug in piece.

This is utterly frustrating so I simply don't use them. I sometimes use other electric appliances that I set on top of either regular burners if the "set on" appliance feet will sit it flat and not interfere with the spacing of the burner coil or the flat griddle if necessary. That way I can turn on the fan when it reaches ready temp and I put the food on.

The fan will run for continually, without the annoying cut-out, when turned on while using the burner plug in unit, or the fixed burners.

The only time the grill plug in would be worth the bother of putting it in would be if we were all going to have Steaks done "Blue" which is about 45 seconds per side x2 for nice diamond grill marks. But only I like it that rare, and since the BBQ is just off the kitchen door, and hooked up to the house gas, it was easier to use the BBQ. Now that I am on my own, I just use a "grill" style fry pan for my one little steak. I still use a large electric griddle for pancakes and sausages or bacon but since I am careful and use a lower heat &/or the lid, the need for it to be near the fan and thus on the stove top, is no longer an issue.

It's not the solution that you were probably looking for, but it's how I worked around the stupidity of the system/installation.

If there is a mechanical fix, I would be thrilled to know about it! Might be nice to have full use of the plug in when there are more people in the house. :D

Reply to
Cynthia

Cynthia

My is doing this when I am using the fixed burners.

Reply to
pyrlady

ght. When I turn on the fan it runs for about 4 minutes, then stops for an other 5 minutes or so, and then starts running again. This pattern continu es as long as I leave the switch in on position.

So are you suggesting that I need to replace the motor?

Reply to
pyrlady

Yes, most of those motors cannot be lubricated and would cost more to repair than replace. If you can DIY, try

for the motor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

e:

light. When I turn on the fan it runs for about 4 minutes, then stops for another 5 minutes or so, and then starts running again. This pattern conti nues as long as I leave the switch in on position.

The motor is the most likely culprit. Does it get hot when it's cycling on and off?

Reply to
trader_4

te:

light. When I turn on the fan it runs for about 4 minutes, then stops for another 5 minutes or so, and then starts running again. This pattern conti nues as long as I leave the switch in on position.

Or alternatively, for a blower motor you can often identify it from the plate, cross reference it to one of the many motor suppliers and buy it as a motor xyz1234 instead of as a JennAir part. Could be $75 vs $300.

Reply to
trader_4

20 points for describing what you are replying to. Almost all people on the HOH site just start their answer and don't say what problem it might relate to.

The house was built in '87 but when did you get it?

My house was built in '79 and its range fan works fine. Of course I've only used it for about 20 minutes since I got here. ;-)

Also this thread deserves 50 points since it's the first one I've seen where to HOH people are in the same thread.

Reply to
micky

replying to micky, Cynthia wrote: Thank you Micky, :) I did goof by not replying to the Originator of the thread, but she saw it and that was my intent. We got the house in "91 and the big and tall owners, Mr. and Mrs. who built the house, themsleves, had 4 big boys 18, 16, 14, 12 who also worked on the construction. I imagine lots of food was made on that range top.. The plug ins were not pristine, nor were they abused looking. I rarely had more than four people to cook for. My x was only 5 ft 6, me 5ft 4 and our little girls came along much later '94 & '01. So it was in the few and far between times that we had company, which he seemed to hate having, so we didn't much. But his Snowbird parents come to stay for Christmas every year for about 8 years. I thus only occasionally bothered with the plug ins and it was very dissatisfying. I would have to scramble to "fix" the dinner disaster, or put up with a smokey spattered kitchen. The smoke alarms would not go off as it was a big open space with lots of room for the dispersion of what-have -you, and I was quick to remove the stuff when the fan would shut off. I found it easier to do the pancakes on the electric grill and put them in the oven, with the either earlier cooked bacon, or sausage, or I baked the sausages. Then I discovered how easy and impressive it is to make crepes. Crepes are deemed more "fancy" and were appreciated. They burn less, have higher protein, less fat and as you make them one at a time, more social and thus became my Special Breakfast of choice. That and eggs benedict, so no plug ins needed. :D

After each sad event, I would follow up with a post event test on my own when no one was around, and came to realize the stupidity of bothering, until I forgot and tried again, and again. Eventually they just got buried under stuff, in the cupboard as my need for space grew and their use was less and less. And jars of bread baking ingredients collected on the handy space the plug ins were laying in.

Reply to
Cynthia