Jenn Air Electric Range - Fan came on by itself and ran all night

We have a Jenn Air Electric Range. After cooking dinner I turned fan off immediately as cannot stand the noise. In the morning my partner heard fan running. It would not switch off so he unplugged. I know I turned the switch off. How could it start up on its own.

Reply to
Jean

Do you know if it is an *electronic* switch? Or, a mechanical one?

[Hint: if it is a sexxy "touch activated" thing, it is electronic; if it has some heavy *feel* to it -- like an old fashioned light switch -- it is mechanical. More or less.]

An electronic switch isn't really controlling anything. Instead, it simply CONVEYS YOUR WISHES to something else (controller) that actually does the switching. So, if that "something" decides, rightly or wrongly, to turn the fan on (perhaps because it senses the range is still hot and it wants to cool it?), then it can.

A mechanical switch can't (usually) flip from the off POSITION to the on POSITION without some external force activating it.

Reply to
Don Y

You have one of those down-draft exhaust fans? Kind of useless.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Does the stove have a temperature sensor? If so, it may be defective. Some vent fans will go on when the temperature gets above a certain level.

Could water or grease gotten in to do something?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
[snip]

What appears to be a mechanical switch may just be a controller input too. The controller can do what it wants, regardless of the switch position. This is like the "power" switches on most electronic equipment.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I had a real old Jenn Air downdraft electric range and some of the heating coils would spontaneously come on with the controller switch/dial was in the OFF position. Turns out some liquid (water, cleaning spray, and/or boil-over)) had gotten under the dial and down into the switch and shorted it out.

Ended up replacing all the switches (including the one for the fan) and rewiring the 120v circuits in oven. End of problem. I'd still have it but replaced all appliances during a kitchen redo.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Of course! But, the trend seems to be for sexxy/flat/touch contrtols, nowadays. In that case, almost definitely NOT actually controlling the fan.

Mechanical switches cost a bit more. And, you'd not include a "hefty" switch (like a toggle) if you just wanted to signal a controller (a mechanical pushbutton would be more in line)

Reply to
Don Y