Heat pump fan/relay question

Hi All,

I was having a problem with my (heat pump) a/c acting up - compressor and fan not engaging and intermittent system starts inside. A technician took a look at my system repaired a bad ground wire inside and replaced the contactor and capacitor in the heat pump. Everything seems ok except now the outdoor condenser fan *now* runs continuously! The technician said it's because the relay is also bad, he didn't have one with him, and it would be replaced shortly. The unit is at least

15 years old, well maintained, and otherwise works well.

Two questions: Does this seem feasible (the relay causing the fan to run continuously)? And, for a day or two will it be OK if the compressor fan (which is about a year old) runs continuously?

Thanks for your help,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I was having a problem with my (heat pump) a/c acting up - compressor and fan not engaging and intermittent system starts inside. A technician took a look at my system repaired a bad ground wire inside and replaced the contactor and capacitor in the heat pump. Everything seems ok except now the outdoor condenser fan *now* runs continuously! The technician said it's because the relay is also bad, he didn't have one with him, and it would be replaced shortly. The unit is at least

15 years old, well maintained, and otherwise works well.

Two questions: Does this seem feasible (the relay causing the fan to run continuously)? And, for a day or two will it be OK if the compressor fan (which is about a year old) runs continuously?

Thanks for your help,

so, this guy shows up ,throws a bandaid on it , get's your shit working and you comfortable, says he'll be back to finsih the repairs , and in the meantime you sneak in here and want to know if he's f***in up ?

sounds very feasible , and plausible, why dont you just wait a day or two and see if he comes through for ya , before you come in here and jerk our collective chain,

if you suspect he isnt worth it, then call someone else, sounds to me like he did you a favor

Mark

Mark wrote:

Reply to
The Freon Cowboy

Given enough parts, anything can be repaired Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Reply to
Dave

Fair enough.

I ended up dropping a little over $500.00, and the fan did not run constantly before he showed, so I figured I would get an opinion.

Looks like I may be f***ed as they can't seem to locate a defrost relay for my older unit. I also don't know how long I can go with the condenser fan running constantly before I have issues with it, not to mention the electric bill.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

You and your tech is not making any sense why because 90% if not 100% of time condenser fan is hooked up in parallel with compressor both are running of the same contactor so how fan is running and compressor is not it doesn't make any sense and I personally don't believe you what are you saying. Tony

Reply to
Tony

HO's get it wrtong all the time, that's why you can't (shouldn't) try to diagnose it over the internet...

Reply to
Joseph

So, were talking heat pump here!!! The condensor fan does not shut off ever when the compressor is running??????? Come on Tony you know hot gas defrost................

Barry

Reply to
Barry

Hi Tony, well I'm certainly not making this up. Maybe I am being lied to - that's one of the reasons I asked here in the first place.

My compressor IS running and cycling as it should.

To clarify - as it stands now, my outdoor compressor fan runs continuously. Everything else seems normal - the compressor itself starts and stops normally, along with the air handler. So I have cooling now without problems, yet my compressor fan runs continually supposedly due to a bad defrost relay.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I stated that my compressor works fine and it is the compressor fan that runs continuously.

Looking at my original message below, I think Tony got the wrong impression. As I stated below, after the technician left, the compressor itself was working fine, the only lasting problem was just with the compressor fan running continuously! I'm not getting this wrong.

Mark

diagnose it over the internet...

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
Mark

Hi, Tony, for one if the compressor thermal protector tripped?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

10/4
Reply to
Tony

A make/model/serial number would be helpful

A whole lot of other questions remain unanswered too... like does it have a seperate mechanical fan relay?? or a circuit board?? or both?? Does your "tech" even have a clue?? Its pretty obvious that you don't

Reply to
Noon-Air

yes Barry but this is AC not commercial refrigerator

Reply to
Tony

And you, Tony, dont make sense 100% of the time. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I think he fried his brains on something or someone bashed him with a rock.

Reply to
Bill

What's the brand and model number?

Reply to
<kjpro

I NEVER believe ANYTHING that *you* post!

Reply to
<kjpro

Tell me who is asking you to???????????????????????

Reply to
Tony