Janitrol Heat Pump system question

Question here for the group. My Janitrol (Heat Pump)system is 13 years old. The compressor shorted out to ground and needs to be replaced. I am getting two different stories on how I should precede.

One side saids that the whole unit has to be replace because the new compressor will not match up with the Heat Exchanger.

The other side saids that Goodman manufactures a comparable Compressor that will match up with the older Heat Exchager.

The model numbers are Outdoor Compressor CPE18-1AB (1 1/2 ton) the heat exchanger is model No. A24-10.

Any help would be great.

Jm

Reply to
J Mickler

Janitrol = Junk

Any money you put into repairs on this unit will be wasted. Check the consumer reports.

Reply to
Kathy

First, where in consumer reports? Couldn't find any reports on this manufacture.

Second, 13 years is above average for a heat pump, so I'm guessin it worked a-ok.

Just saying......

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

It depends on if the compressor fried internally what you should do. If the freon is burned you could be facing a complete replacement. At least I would cause you would never be sure if you got out all of the commintantants before you started it up.

At 13 years old it would be a good time to update both the air handler and compressor into the highest seer that you can afford. http://198.147.238.24/ac_calc/default.aspplay what if at this site, maybe it can help you decide.

Reply to
SQLit

After reading the replies up to Darrels....this post makes sense now....inserts below.

Average life is 12 to 15 years on a unit. Its time to replace it all anyway.

Now, before everyone else jumps in and starts screaming cap, cap cap.... A short to ground in a compressor winding is NOT even close to a bad cap. How did the tech test the unit to insure that the unit was indeed shorted to ground and was the fuse/breaker tripping or blowing what told you as the homeowner you had a problem?

The compressor, or the CONDENSOR?? That Copeland compressor is still out there, its still being made. The only change to it really is the location of the suction and discharge lines. A swage tool and a 90 degree fitting changes that so its not an issue.

If they are talking about the condensor itself, then there is more to replace than just the air handler indoors as well, as you prob need a new lineset as well, unless hes willing to warranty it and clean it out correctly, AND the size of the lines are the same as the new equipment.

Think you are getting your terms mixed up here.

Compressor or Condensor?

Heat pumps do not have, technically, a heat exchanger. They have an air handler, with a coil in it.

Yup...you are mixing terms up here. The numbers you post...the CPE18 is an older 1.5 ton (18,000 BTU) 10 SEER condensing unit heat pump. NOT a compressor.

The A24 is an old 2 ton, 10 SEER , 24,000 BTU rated air handler. NOT a heat exchanger.

The outdoor unit, mated to that indoor unit, only gave you a total cooling total of 17,400 BTU, with a sensible cooling BTU total of only 13,000. The COP, at 47F was 3,, and you only had a HSPF rating of 7.00. Total SEER with that mis match....10.5

In other words, shop for a newer unit MATCHED properly. Higher SEER units will use a larger air handler..thats normal, but they will require in most cases a metering device change to get them to work properly.

IF the compressor, (the actual compressor, inside the condensor) is shorted to ground, you can normally replace the entire outer unit for less than the compressor. Given that, it makes sense to install a properly mated air handler with the new unit. You might ask whoever is installing the new system to get you total cooling numbers, and sensible cooling numbers, along with the HSPF ratings for the unit in question. Also, make sure you see the numbers not written down by the tech, but on the spec sheet for the make of the unit you are looking at.

With the 13SEER rule going into effect in less than a year, you might want to go ahead and shop for a 13 or 14 SEER unit. Go with the unit that has the highest HSPF rating you can find. Also, insure that the installers are installing a set of heat strips that are large enough to supply you with enough heat during the defrost cycles and if the compressor fails so that you can switch to emer setting on your thermostat and still stay warm.

Insure that whoever is installing the unit, is licenced, and insured. Make damn sure that if permits and inspections are required in your area, that they are pulling the permits and getting the inspectors out. This protects you greatly.

Get more than two quotes, and might I also suggest that since Goodman/Janitrol just changed hands again, that the quality of the units they make today is still crap, and we dont have a clue what the new ones are gonna be like, other than as the owner of a HVAC company, the brand spanking new ones, (I dont install the crap) still make us tons of money on the repair side.

Also, if that Goodman/Janijunk lifetime warranty on the compressor is making you think that way, consider this..all makes offer that, and have. Most before Goodman jumped on board with it. In most cases as well, its worthless to anyone but you, and then, unless you read all the fine print , it might be worthless to you as well.

Reply to
steve

This is Turtle.

Kathy , You have been listening to too much of the advertisement of the brand names. Brand now a days has very little meaning if installed incorrectly. I would find me a Good installer and then have him put me a Mickey Mouse Brand in my house if he was a good installer. The Brands with out a good installer is all the same equipment.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote in message news:jScNd.24$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net...

This is Turtle.

I did read the fine Print on that lifetime warranty of the compressor. Here is what i got out of it.

1) You must have it serviced atleast one time a year by a licenced service company. 2) Must Mail in the Warranty Card or register by E-Mail to Goodman to activate the life time warranty. 3) The Warrantier of the compressor must be a Goodman or Amana Dealer. 4) Moving the units from present address violates warranty and goes back to 10 year warranty. 5) Act of God / Lighting / Power surges Violate Warranty but reverts back to 10 year warranty. 6) The Replacement of Non-OEM Goodman or Amana Parts Violates the warranty. 7) The inside unit not Matching the outside unit in the Goodman Matching system Violates the Warranty. 8) Other brand of furnaces, Evaperator Coils, or Air Handlers violates the Warranty. 9) If there is 3 compressors warrantied in any 10 year time frame. Revert back to original 10 year warranty time span.

10) If any of the above items are violated the warranty is dead or reverts back to 10 year warranty time limit.

It would be hard to keep the regulations with this lifetime warranty.

Now I talk to one of Amana's Rep.s and there is some question now [ the buy out deal ] as to them Keeping the lifetime warranty offer Offered anymore but still is offered for now. He also said that the offer of lifetime warranty was on most all units with a Copland New Millium Compressor on them and they have almost a Zero Failure rate as of now. He said well if your getting Zero failure rate. Collect on it by putting a lifetime warranty to cover something that does not break.

I sell a few Amana or Goodman condensers but all of them will have a Copland New Millium Compressor on it or I don't sell it. I also sell Rheem / Carrier / Arco Air / Hiel / A/S in the commercial line but if they don't have a Copland scroll compressor in them. I don't sell them. There is some of these that don't have a scroll in them and they get cut from the list.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I'll second that. There really isn't much difference in cost between a compressor replacement and a new condensing unit and the new unit would have a warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to replace your Goodman outdoor unit with a comparable model. There would be some benefit to replacing the air handler along with the outdoor unit, but only you can decide if the cost associated with that is worth it to you. I would advise it and give you the price, but at the same time, I'd feel comfortable going either way. I have two Goodman units in my own home that have been running fine for 13 years and the equipment they put out today is better quality than it was back then.

Bobby

Reply to
BGBevill