Extractor fan in Utility room

I have to put an extractor in the utility room in the renovation. All the others (bathroom, en-suite etc.) will run off the lighting circuits and come on when the light switches on. I don't particularly want to do that with the utility as will not be needed every time the light comes on and may be needed when the light is off.

What is the best way to power this fan, via the lighting circuit with a pull cord (not preferable) or switch, or via a spur from the ring main?

Cheers

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

can't imagine it makes much difference as long as you can isolate it for service/cleaning/replacement.

does your BCO have an opinion? if so go with that unless it's suspect.....

jim

Reply to
jim

Ive done none bahroom fans on switcheds spurs from the nearest ring.

The lighting bit is because you aren't allowed rings in bathrooms. Sort of..before everyone chips in with when you are..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From a safety point of view I would say take spur from lighting circuit and use a pull cord switch. Last thing you want is someone with wet hands turning on the fan via a normal switch.

Reply to
Slider

Agree in principle, but it's no worse than doing same with the utility room light switch... .and when did you last see a kitchen or utility room light on a pull cord?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

True, but utility rooms are generally small rooms and probably have the light switch outside in the kitchen? There is probably some regulation that switches cannot be within a certain distance to a sink.

Reply to
Slider

Quite often where the pull cord is part of the fan.

Why do you need a fan in a utility room?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've heard that it is something like a full arm spam from fingertip to fingertip if it is in the same room. But if it is the other side of the door outside the room then no distance regulation applies as it's not in the same room. So my loft extension light switch is just 4 feet from the basin, and could easily be operated whilst standing at the basin, but it's OK as it's in the hallway.

Reply to
ScrewMaster

I have a let property where the landing/bathroom toggle switch, located on the landing, could be reached by someone standing in the bath with the bathroom door open, if they felt so inclined. It passed a periodic electrical test with no problem (and I even raised my specific concerns with the sparks who did the test).

David

Reply to
Lobster

In article , Slider writes

Yes, 300mm.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

Or any switched socket outlet in a kitchen, hence the requirement that they are at least 300mm from the sink.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

In article , ARWadsworth writes

It was in the Building Regs plans. I guess because there is a sink and the boiler was going in there (although that is now going outside). It might be worth checking with BCO if it is still required.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll

no, there are no specific regulations, (only for rooms containing a bath or shower?) same as there are no specifc regs re the distance of sockets from sinks. There is of course general stuff about good design etc.

Our utility light switch is in the same room, as is my mums, as is my in laws.

I really don't see an issue with a wall mounted switch for the fan in the room

Reply to
chris French

It really is worth checking with the BCO.

It was probably an architect that specified a fan. They really do live on a different planet to BCOs.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

In message , Martin Carroll writes

Are you sure, it certainly didn't use to have be a specified distance

Reply to
chris French

In article , chris French writes

Sorry, you are right. It is a recommendation not a requirement.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Carroll