Boiler Ventilation - utility room needs an additional extractor fan

I would like to install an extractor fan in my utility room, since my condenser dryer makes the room very hot and damp.
Currently I already have three holes in the only external wall 1 - Boiler flue (boiler is in the utility room as well) 2 - Ventilation hole for boiler (about 20cm diameter with a dividing thingy piece of wood in it) 3 - Ducting from the adjacent bathroom (with extractor fan)
As you can imagine adding a separate hole for an extractor fan will make the, already unsightly, external wall even more unsighlty.
Can I install a extractor fan in the ventilation hole or will that affect any ventilation regs regarding my boiler? Or is my only other option to make another hole in the wall?
Apologies if this is a dumb question but I want to ensure that the solution is safe.
Thanks
Charlie
Charlie wrote:

Is your boiler room sealed (balanced/fan flue) or room ventilated (open flue)? (Make and model of boiler if you don't know.)
If the boiler is open flue then you (a) MUST NOT obstruct the ventilation hole in any way, and (b) probably MUST NOT install an extractor fan in the same room, and even if you can install an extractor fan the boiler should be re-tested with the extraction fan running.
There are also rules about how close to a boiler flue other things can be.
Safest thing is to wait until Ed posts... :-)
Owain
The boiler is a Potterton Kingfisher II if that helps.
Charlie

Ed? .... any thoughts?....
Owain wrote:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006 12:31:39 -0700, Charlie wrote:

Make and model of boiler, and rated input, then we can sort this out.
It's at Potterton Kingfisher II CF50 The Rated Input figures detailed on the boiler are 15.6kW 17.55kW 19.5kW
Thanks in advance
Charlie
Ed Sirett wrote:

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 10:59:43 -0700, Charlie wrote:

I beleive.... This is not the model with a powered flue which I think are the Kingfisher MF series? This is a conventional flued boiler but maybe it has electronic ignition?
There should already be a vent into this room of 19.5 - 7 = 12.5 allowing for adventitious air. and then 12.5 * 4.5 cm^2 = 56.25 cm^2
So you should have a vent direct to outside air with at least that amount of free open area. You may have more and it should be twice that if the air comes from another room.
The boiler should already have been tested and should continue to be tested without fail every year that its flue always works. One a year is not too often for this setup. If you already have an extractor in an adjoining room then the test is with this running and the door open. Also with the door closed of course.
If your new tumble dryer setup then causes the boiler's flue to fail then you will need to add even more direct ventilation. There is a chance that you will have to add a lot of extra vents!
You are really best leaving the testing of the flue to a pro.
HTH
-- Ed Sirett - Property maintainer and registered gas fitter. The FAQ for uk.diy is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk Gas fitting FAQ http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html Sealed CH FAQ http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/SealedCH.html Choosing a Boiler FAQ http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/BoilerChoice.html Gas Fitting Standards Docs here: http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFittingStandards