Internal room ventilation

I am creating a new utility room in my basement which uses three existing walls and will add a new stud partition (with door) to create the fourth wall. The room is internal to the house & doesn`t have any outside walls or windows. Do I need to have a permanent means of ventilation to the room (i.e extractor fan) & would it need to be on all the time? I only intend to have a washing machine & sink in the room if that helps.

John

Reply to
john

I am creating a new utility room in my basement which uses three existing walls and will add a new stud partition (with door) to create the fourth wall. The room is internal to the house & doesn`t have any outside walls or windows. Do I need to have a permanent means of ventilation to the room (i.e extractor fan) & would it need to be on all the time? I only intend to have a washing machine & sink in the room if that helps.

John

Reply to
john

current building regulations state that a utility room must have mechanical means of ventilation, A window is not suitable so a fan must be used

Reply to
Mike Taylor

The regulations would suggest an extractor fan to the outside, and a

10mm gap under the door, or a ventilation panel in it.

AND a smoke alarm in the room and/or access to it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Probably. However they are not retrospective.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The point of which is .... ?

If we had to have a fan installed in our utilty room it would end up like the "compulsory" fans in bathroom/shower room: present, connected, and permanently switched off!

Julian

Reply to
Julian Fowler

Or like the one in my downstairs loo, present, connected, and totally essential :)

ESPECIALLY when the puppy decides its the nearest to a doggy loo he can find.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote | Or like the one in my downstairs loo, present, connected, and | totally essential :) | ESPECIALLY when the puppy decides its the nearest to a doggy | loo he can find.

Awwww.

Well it's better in the downstairs loo than on the best bedroom wilton.

OWain

Reply to
Owain

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:56:09 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named PoP randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Yes, in 1995, so your house might have been constructed under the previous requirements.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula