electrical switch polarity

Hi, I've seen one of the tests on domestic circuits to be a polarity test on amongst other things switches (and sockets?). Could someone explain this to me please.

Would the Electricians Guide to the Regs explain this sort of thing?

Thank you,

Neil

Reply to
Niel A. Farrow

It's to make sure that the socket hasn't been wired wrongly, such that the live and neutral are transposed. If they were, then switching off at the plug would leave an appliance switched off (because the neutral is disconnected), but still energised at mains voltage.

Reply to
Wanderer

The polarity test is indeed carried out on switches and sockets to ensure the switches are connected to the phase conductor , it is simply done by connecting a continuity tester betneen phase and neutral and operating the switch. The electricians guide will explain this test

Reply to
Wheelbarrowbob

You can buy a plug 'top' with neons built in for a couple of pounds which will test a socket for the correct connections. It won't test other requirements, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

rlkwitches1

Look, why don't you f*ck off?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Funny how some companies like to make such a scummy name for themselves.

Reply to
meow2222