B&Q PPPro cordless 4-pack - any good?

Just seen the new(?) B&Q Performance Power Pro 18V cordless set: combi drill, circular saw, jigsaw and torch with 3 batteries and what looks like a proper fast charger rather than the rubbish the previous set had. £150. Anyone tried it? Is it any good (apart from hammer action on the drill which I wouldn't expect to be worth the candle).

tia

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ If a job's worth doing, it'll still be worth doing tomorrow.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Grrrrr... that's the set I wanted. But I bought the older one with a sabre saw and the crap charger. The drill is "quite good" and the hammer action works for brick which is about all I asked of it. It's a good drill with a mechanical two-speed gearbox as well as proportional control. I had a problem with the first one I bought, after a week of use the proportional control failed. I got a replacement on the spot without any quibbling and they changed the entire set, not just the drill.

I bought the jigsaw separately recently and value the additional batteries and the fast charger. The old batteries will only work with the new charger if they are "jiggered" a little. The new charger expects a thermal cut-out to be connected between the positive pole and the third pole on the battery. In the older batteries this was missing.

The circular trim saw is really good IMO. I used the saw/drill and a router to do a lot of work over the last year and cut all the timber for a built-in book case using the saw as well as seemingly endless panels of plywood for flooring. It worked well and a charge lasts long enough to be useful.

At that price I may well irritate my wife a buy a pack to take to my place in Italy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

---8

Reply to
John Stumbles

---8 I can vouch for the 18V drill ... my father bought the drill .. then a

I'm a bit disappointed with the speed control: as one squeezes the trigger further it increases smoothly then suddenly jumps to maximum. No problem for drilling but pants for driving. The jigsaw has the same behaviour but it's not a problem. I guess the motor speed control is just not capable of going up to maximum so they bypass it with a switch for full power.

It's something I can live with since my Site (Ryobi rebadge for B&Q) does the business for driving very nicely, but I wouldn't want it to be my only drill/driver.

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+

Reply to
John Stumbles

This IMHO is the bid difference between 'cheap' and good quality drills. When drilling, the speed control isn't that important. When screwdriving, it is, and that's where a decent one stands out. But since IMM only preaches and never does, he wouldn't find this out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This can also be a function of poor quality batteries which can't deliver as much current as decent ones. I noticed a big improvement over new when re-celling my B&Q 18 volt one with Sanyo cells.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I can vouch for superb driving capability - that is about 90% of what it is used for - been putting in 4" x 10's ... 3 boxes of 200 used so far. batteries last an age compared to 12V dewalt

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Don't get me wrong Dave, I like slagging off IMM as much as the next man ;-) but, er, he hasn't actually posted to this thread, has he?

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Cannibalize Legalists

Reply to
John Stumbles

Fair enough, just noting what mine does. Incidentally mine is model CLM18CHD, comes with a side handle, has a 3-LED battery state indicator on the foot - maybe yours is a different model? Or maybe they've just changed components (or even suppliers) and package it as the same unit.

-- John Stumbles

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-+ Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

Reply to
John Stumbles

But just driving large screws isn't necessarily the only test. Starting small ones direct into contiboard often sorts them out. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

He doesn't post on any threads as far as I'm concerned. He was added to my twit filter some time ago.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

No, but if he had that's what he'd have said. ;-)

His two bees in bonnet are expensive heating systems fitted by cheap tools. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That was the fault that afflicted mine. I took it back and got it changed for one that works properly.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No, I've got the same drill. Take it back and get it changed. Yours is faulty.

Reply to
Steve Firth