B&Q Rip Off Gas Bottle

So, there we were half way through a BBQ, with loads of people waiting for food, when the piggin gas cylinder ran out.

Local garage had no stock at all, so off to B&Q. Only place locally open at that time in the evening.

They wouldn't exchange the 13kg Maxi Gas Butane cylinder. Had to put down a £29:50 deposit on a poxy 5kg cylinder which cost £15!!

Last time I exchanged the 13kg cylinder at the garage (a year ago) cost me £14.

Numpty at B&Q claimed that "butane is being phased out".

Is that right? Or just another B&Q rip off?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Oh dear you do see to run into a lot of difficulties.

ps buy a set of digital bathroom scales that does Kilo's ...that way net time you are thinking of having a barbie you can way the bottle and determine wether you need a refill or not. :-)

Reply to
George

When I 'net' have a barbie (which we do several times a week weather permitting) I'll get the bathroom scales and 'way' the bottle to determine 'wether' I need one or not.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hah! you've noticed e sticky keys. :-P

Reply to
George

It doesn't really matter.

They had the product.

You wanted it. Desperately.

This is called a distress purchase.

The details are irrelevant.

Your want of the product was sufficient that you were willing to pay the price asked because this was less of a problem than disappointing your guests.

B&Q haven't ripped you off. You chose to buy on their terms because you wanted the product. more than you were disappointed about the price paid.

It's pointless worrying about it now because the problem was solved and presumably your visitors were happy. B&Q helped to make that happen at a price that you were willing to pay; therefore everybody walked away happy from the deal. This is the same as saying that you will still love the girl in the morning but being less sure when the sun rises.

Reply to
Andy Hall

"the" gas cylinder? Call yourself a handyman and you only have one source of fiery heat to hand?

Where's your brazing / soldering rig?

Where's your oxygen cylinder? (lights charcoal to cookable in under a minute)

Where's your stick welder, and a quickly constructed woodstove?

Baden Powell wouldn't approve....

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You forgot the hot air gun ...

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

You can't weld sausages (or can you?) :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Serves you right for cheating and using gas. real men use charcoal.

Reply to
philipuk

It blocks the gas jets too easily.

Reply to
dennis

Or running an extension from the gas main in garden hose...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Reply to
R D S

Didldi ones you probably can ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have plasma-cut sausages.....

Cheap barbecue leftovers, in an old welding glove. One day I _will_ run the thing across my hand, and I wanted to know just how much damage to expect beforehand.

(it's pretty safe really)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Leave off. My PLI doesn't even cover me for a blowlamp indoors!

Dib dib dob...........

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmm, had to help out at cubs centenary camp a month or so ago, with eldest offspring.

One other Dad had brought along copy of original 18-oatcake copy of 'Scouting for Boys', almost hand-written by B.P. himself. Some amusing reading to be had.

A section was devoted to 'How a Scout behaves' or similar. It went on to describe various vices, such as 'A Scout does not smoke blah blah..' and 'A Scout does not drink blah blah..' It then went on to say something like 'And of the vice which we shall call Beastliness ( which is what matron at your school calls it ) , we shall say no more than 'a scout does not do it'. Should you feel the urge to Beastliness come upon you, then a cold shower is what you need. Should you still feel a need to Beastliness, then I urge you to consult your Scout Master'.

Yes, indeed...

Another amusing item indicated BPs inclination to phrenology. 'How to recognise the "wrong sorts".' This shows a couple of drawings of individuals, to indicate who is the 'right sort' and who is not. The 'Wrong Sort' had an amusing drawing of a slouch-shouldered individual in scrufy clothes, smoking a cigarette, with eyebrows joined and a head-shape like an ape. The 'Right Sort' stood bolt upright wearing a smart blazer, foot on a ball having obviously just won the cup, with a chinless wonder skull type.

It took the edge off an uncomfortable couple of nights...

Reply to
Ron Lowe

We bought an "Outback" gas barbie last year, 'cos we quite often decide to barbie at the last minute and I can't be arsed to wait for charcoal.

Big mistake. It's a useless piece of cack. Sadly, I gave the charcoal one away to the local Emauss. Wish I hadn't.

Reply to
Huge

They didn't take your ID card number and check your photographic ID while they were at it?

Large gas cylinders were used in the recent London and Glasgow bombing attempts (according to early news reports), presumably to provide additional oomph to the desired explosions.

Anti-terror laws would probably make B&Q numpty right, though maybe for the wrong reasons. There's also been a gradual shift over the last couple of decades from a nearly pure butane mix (boiling point 0.5 deg.C) to a mix with considerable propane in it (boiling point down in the minus 30s), at least in camping supplies. Obvious differences in winter use. I can't put a more accurate date on it, because I use a paraffin (Optimus) stove. Bloody hard to find paraffin these days.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Maybe that B&Q are phasing out butane in favour of the rip off (ie bigger profit margin) "patio gas"?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thought I would ask my local independant Ironmongers. They confirmed to me that "butane" is being phased out. So any new BBQ's need to have the "red" adaptor fitted in order to use patio gas. As I am about to buy a new BBQ ( my previous one was stolen !!) I am now confused as all the ones on sale appear to be butane.

Think I will just wait and see

John

Reply to
John Young