Half of Sizewell B switched off

National Grid are paying EDF to switch off half of Sizewell B. Demand is so low due to lockdown there is too much generation on the grid making it tricky to balance.

That artical says the minimum demand forecast for Sunday was 14.4 GW. Doesn't look like it got that low on Gridwatch.

National Grid are also looking at Demand Turn Up or variations where they pay for generators to reduce their export to the grid or consume more power.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

This lockdown has thrown up some very interesting statistics.

Reply to
John

Don't get that, surely people at home all the time still use power, but if manufacturing is not using their share where is everything we need coming from if not here? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

This is where we could do with some way to store electricity, quite obviously. Lets flood London and use the Thames barrier as a tidal generator. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Given the lack of extra suitable lakes for hydro storage, someone is now trialling dangling concrete blocks down holes ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Of course, you'd have keep the shafts pumped for inspection etc. which would use some of the stored energy. It's also been proposed to use those holes for pumped storage. E.G.

See also

I suggest converting the Snowdon Mountain Railway to electricity with a generate/discharge capability, and replacing the diddy little carriage with 10,000 tons of concrete on flat-cars. The diddy little carriage could tag along at the back.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Brian Gaff (Sofa) has brought this to us :

That idea has considerable merit.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

But do the sums. For 1000 tonnes and 1000m shaft (deeper than Killingley) you get about 30 MWh.

The Snowdon drop is about 1000m too. But you couldn't put 10,000 tons on flatbeds and tow them, you would have to have motor/generators on a significant proportion of the wheels. So that would give you 300 MWh.

Dinorwic is 9000 MWh.

Reply to
newshound

Say 1000 km^2, 10 metres total height, I make that 15 GWh gross, so 1.5 times Dinorwic.

Reply to
newshound

Quite. It was a tongue in cheek suggestion, very 'green', and useless.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

What has this to do with DIY.

--

Reply to
GB

Name them.

--

Reply to
GB

Gravitricity are trialling with 250kW (note lack of 'h' but their blurb mentions 15 minute runtime, so maybe 62kWh) aren't their crowd-funders convinced that gravity works?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Gridwatch shows 'notches' of lowered demand for several days recently, ass though they've used load-shedding, i.e. the opposite of what that says?

Reply to
Andy Burns

The problem is that 'green' energy is simply shit people have known about for years and rejected as being hopelessly ineffective or uneconomic.

There are no real 'breakthroughs' at all.

As far as storage goes water-up-a-hill remains the best method but is limited by lack of - er - hills.

Making hills, or digging holes, is expensive (and carbon intensive)

One of the less stupid ideas would be something like build a barrier across loch Ness and pump water out of it to store and then refill from the sea to generate.

And bugger Nessie.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No those are data errors I am afraid.

When the solar energy estimates cant be scraped from Sheffield

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not sure what you are talking about, but the notches seem to coincide with a loss of solar. I would guess this is something to do with how solar is reported, rather than a genuine drop in demand.

Reply to
Pancho

Since the surface is 15m above sea level, wouldn't it drain by itself and need pumping to refill? Not that 15m is much of a head ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ah, I did wonder about that, "obvious errors" in the past have been to zero

Reply to
Andy Burns

newshound brought next idea :

A decent exchange rate.