Gridwatch at Sizewell

We went on a trip to Sizewell B power station today (group trip with some other home educating families).

At the end of trip, in the visitor centre entrance, one of guides was showing some of them the current Uk power station outputs on an iPad. Yup it was showing the Gridwatch website :-)

Reply to
Chris French

Awesome!

Reply to
Tim Watts

It's part of an OU course now as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. It does surprise me that TPTB have to rely on what is basically an amateur* site to display grid information in an easily interpreted fashion, albeit very competently. It also surprises me that the same PTB haven't got round to providing readily available data on solar power, bearing in mind the emphasis and widespread interest in renewable energy sources. Surely the data must exist somewhere, otherwise how do TPTB know how much to reimburse the Harry's of this world, or the big commercial operators with their acres of solar farms?

*amateur in the sense of doing it for the love of it, unpaid, rather than the more common meaning of not very good.
Reply to
Chris Hogg

ITYM: " ... how much swag to distribute to the ...".

Reply to
Tim Streater

Gridwatch got a mention in the Times today, in Matthew Parris' opinion piece extolling electric cars.

An opportunity, ISTM, for you as author of Gridwatch, TNP, to write an article for the Times pointing out some of the limitations, such as:

1) It won't scale due to shortage of suitable battery materials 2) electric car nice until you need to replace the battery 3) We'll need another xx nukes to supply the juice

and so on.

IOW, inject some actual numbers into the rhetoric.

Reply to
Tim Streater

In message , Chris French writes

Tangent alert. What, if anything, is happening with Sizewell C these days?

Reply to
News

Reply to
Andy Burns

Should I mention that the gf's lad got extra marks for using it on some school work regarding the importance of renewable energy?

Reply to
ARW

Yes, I had read that, but it does not really say much. It seems to refer to Sizewell C as a proposal, which is very early days.

Reply to
News

It's rather going to depend on what happens with Hinkley Point C.

Reply to
newshound

Well, you know how to interpret that then ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Harry's send in their generation reading every month/quarter and get paid accordingly plus a bonus of 50% of that generation that has been deemed to be exported, even if none has been exported. So no realtime data on these purely financial investment installations is available.

That ought to be realtime available but have we actually got much large scale solar PV? Does even get to a single gigawatt flat out?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I did spend quite a lot of time reading about the original proposal, the projections etc. Rail terminal, roads etc. Although we're now in Aberdeenshire, I know that part of the world quite well, and should we ever move back south, Suffolk/Norfolk will probably be top of the list.

Reply to
News

My daughters linguistics dissertation compared the idiosyncrasies of uk.rec.sheds, and something called Mumsnet. uk.diy may have got in there, but I can't remember.

Reply to
Graham.