Half of Sizewell B switched off

I heard about that. They want to pump a loch up in the mountains full of sea water. Some will leak out of course... what was that about environmentally friendly?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I don't think anyone is taking it seriously, except presumably the author himself. Salt water contamination was just one of the objections. Others covered such things as the capacity of the transmission lines needed to carry all that power away, and if the scheme is capable of generating 6,800 GWh of electricity, it would need a comparable amount of energy to recharge it. Enough nukes might do it, but then if you've got that many nukes, why both with the scheme in the first place?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I thought he was creating a lower lake as well.

Ah, that's Scottish windmills of course.

Because it is all predicated on this stupid stupid assumption that we have to go zero carbon without using nukes. No matter what it costs. Under that scenario its actually reasonably well thought out. Unlike windmills this will only *double* the cost of electricity again, not

*treble it*.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

probably why we've heard nothing anymore about it .

Reply to
charles

"Keeping The Lights On" in Private Eye has a little more on this ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Do you have a link or is it pay walled?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I read it in the dead tree version. Basically it was to do with the Alice- in-Wonderland structure of paying for 'leccy the UK has created. It really doesn't fit in with the C-19 paradigm shift when it comes to squeezing as much money from us as possible. Hence the grid has paid EDF to turn off Sizewell B.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

EDF reports the same.

Too much renewable energy I suppose and too little demand Even Drax has cut back on its wood burning.

Europe has total energy surplus - we are importing all we can.

It's a very dangerous situation.

As I write 32% of the grid is being generated from non spinning turbines.

Very little margin for overload if a thunderstorm shorts out a windfarm again...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I am sure this is correct. My understanding it that it is/was associated with a specific grid constraint, and there was a negociation between EDF and Grid. I don't know whether or not money changed hands or whether there is a certain amount of "gentlemans' agreements" between the players at times like this.

Reply to
newshound

Thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

possibly.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Didn't get any in Sussex. Just some dark clouds at 9AM and a few spots of rain, then back to 'normal'. Getting quite windy now though, even in Sussex.

Rampion, off the coast from Worthing will be whizzing around.

Reply to
Andrew

Not now. Forecast for rain has been pushed out. But by 'eck is it windy.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

and even more non spinning turbine energy on the grid - we have even stopped importing

34% only spinning turbine power. knife edge stuff
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hopefully the pressed "save" when they tweaked the config of Hornsea to make it less sensitive to blips on the grid. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Branches of willow blown down, turbines were still whizzing rather than shutdown when I was on way home, crows were veering all over the place, wind finished-off my TV aerial (but I think galvanic corrosion is the really to blame)

Andy Burns

It's a log aeriel though, so cannot be that old. They were rarely seen before the ?700Mhz clearout. How would galvanic corrosion be the cause ?. It is aluminium and clamped to an alloy pole.

Sounds like some robust crows have been trampolining on it.

Reply to
Andrew

Big bang over Sussex earlier as a succession of downpours came across Southern england. windy too.

Reply to
Andrew

Installed Aug 2006 before 1st DSO, it's a full wideband, the replacement excludes 800MHz, no doubt they'll soon produce a version to exclude 700MHz

The clamp plate that holds it to the pole is steel, zoom in on the top of the boom

You'll notice the one bent element, some thug of a bird did that a few months ago.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There are sets of plastic spikes made for keeping birds off - don't use metal spikes! Vertical polarization for a relay wouldn't allow birds to land, especially on a log periodic aerial.

Reply to
PeterC