15A outlets on 20A circuits

Last week, I posted about running 12/2 wire for a kitchen reno. Well all the circuits are run. I decided on running all 12/2 instead of

12/3 and splitting circuits. Looking ahead to outlets, had a question. I think I know the answer, but just wanted to confirm.

I ran 4 new circuits for the fridge, microwave/range hood, and counter outlets. Am I allowed to use regular 15A outlets? For the counter outlets, I am using regular 15A Decora and GFI's, and for the fridge, microwave just wanted to use regular outlets, like the kind you can get a 10Pk for like $5 at Lowes.

Reply to
Mikepier

15 amp outlets are fine. The refrigerator doesn't need to be GFCI protected, but all the counter outlets do. A 15 amp GFCI outlet has a 20 amp feed through
Reply to
RBM

Just to clarify. A single 15 amp outlet can't be installed on a 20 amp dedicated circuit, but a duplex is fine

Reply to
RBM

.

This is another example of things in the code that don't seem to make any sense, at least to me. If one can install multiple 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit, why the restriction on installing just one?

And while we're at it, the code also says you can use a 20 amp single outlet on a 15 amp circuit, but you can't install multiple 20's on a

15 amp circuit.

Why the big distinction between single versus multiple outlets?

Reply to
trader4

I would ASSume because that if you were drawing, say, 18A on a circuit that only had one 15A single receptacle on it, it'd be a fair bet that it was whatever was plugged into that recep that was drawing all that current. However, with a *duplex* recep that is not necessarily the case.

nate

Reply to
N8N

om...

But let's say you have a coffee maker and a toaster plugged into one

15A duplex, and both are being used at the same time. Obviously now you are drawing more than 15A. Can the duplex handle that? Is each outlet rated for 15A, or is the entire device rated for 15A?
Reply to
Mikepier

they been handling it for years in every house i've ever seen. I've never seen a 20a outlet installed. Ever.

Reply to
Steve Barker

To make sure the distinction is clear, if you have a 20A circuit and there is only a single receptacle (not duplex) on the whole circuit it can't be a 15A one. If it was, the receptacle would not allow the circuit to be used at 20A. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but IMHO a reasonable restriction.

You can't install any 20A receptacles on a 15A circuit. If you did, you could plug in devices with a rating of over 15A (has a 20A plug) on the

15A circuit.

Presumably a device with a 15A plug would not draw 18A. A plug-in strip is likely to have a circuit breaker. (You could with an extension cord with 3 outlets.)

Each half is rated 15A and the whole device is rated 20A. Also rated 20A wire-through. (As a practical matter, I suspect it would be hard to make a receptacle that would be OK at 15A but not at 20A.)

Reply to
bud--

.com...

=3D=3D You'd better re-read the code book. There is a difference with "split" receptacles in wiring procedure. If you plug two appliances and each are drawing 15 amp into an unsplit duplex receptacle which is serviced by one duplex cable, you will blow the circuit breaker. If the split receptacle is serviced by two different hot leads each appliance will draw 15 amp and the load is 15 amp on each HALF of the receptacle. Most code books that I've seen diagram how to do kitchen circuits as most "counter" circuits require 20 amp breakers.

Reply to
Roy

And I have to disagree on that one. I can find the code section for you later, but essentially it comes down to this. The code draws a distinction between circuits with only one outlet and those with more than one. With more than one outlet, it says you can't use a 20A outlet on 15A circuit. But for a circuit with only ONE outlet, the code says the outlet rating must have a current rating at least equal to the circuit rating. Hence, a 20A single outlet can be use on a 15 amp circuit.

I agree that it doesn't make any sense to me. But, at the end of the day, the critical thing is that the circuit breaker be correctly sized.

Reply to
trader4

GFCI for refrigerator is likely to warm up the food. Something trips the GFCI and you notice the next morning. Not good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've found that 12 ga wire won't go into the back stabs of 15 amp sockets. Which is a good thing. Helps keep people from using heavy loads on cheap sockets.

The more pricey 15 amp sockets, the screw tightens two pieces of metal to grab the wire. These, I like. If you're plugging and unplugging frequently, I'd use the $2 sockets, not the 50 cent sockets.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ps.com...

The only code book that counts is the NEC, and it doesn't show diagrams of how to do kitchen circuits or anything else for that matter.

As for the question about whether a 15 amp duplex receptacle can handle two seperate loads that combined are more than 15amps, I'd say the answer is yes. Clearly the NEC allows using multiple 15 amp duplex outlets on a 20 amp circuit. If any duplex outlet could not safely handle 16, 17..., 20 amps combined, there would be a big safety issue.

Reply to
Bob

The outlets will be for stuff that will always be plugged in such as fridge, microwave/range hood, and the outlets inside the wall cabinets ( for the undercabinet lighting).

Reply to
Mikepier

This is from memory and I've not kept up w/ changes (but I'd be surprised if this has changed)...

15A branch circuits. NEC has no limits on number of outlets/circuit; commonsense prevails. Receptacles may be no more than 15A rated. Any one cord-and-plug appliance may exceed 12A. If the circuit also supplies any load fastened in place, that load may not exceed 7-1/2A. 20A branch circuits. Receptacles may be either 15A or 20A. No single cord-and-plug appliance may exceed 16A. If the circuit also supplies any load(s) fastened in place, the total load may not exceed 10A.

--

Reply to
dpb

I agree that is a stupid rule......

Reply to
jw

He is NOT using a GFCI on the fridge. Read it again. NEVER use a GFCI on a fridge or freezer.

Reply to
jw

Most of the thread uses 210.21. It says what you say above, which I agree is odd.

A while back I ran across 406.3-A which, IMHO, prohibits almost all 20A single receptacles on a 15A circuit:

15/20A receptacles "shall be installed only on circuits of the voltage class and current for which they are rated." This applies only to "grounding-type" receptacles, so you presumably could put an ungrounded 20A single receptacle as the only receptacle on a 15A circuit (and only in those cases where you can use an ungrounded receptacle). Oddness remains, but is greatly limited.
Reply to
bud--

Minor typo.

The 12 and 16A limits on 15 and 20A circuits is in 210.21-B-2. A while ago there were several proposals written to change this section. One of the common arguments is that UL allows a 15A plug on devices that draw over 12A (maybe a hair dryer). The same is probably true for 20A plugs. The code panel response was 'we're right, UL is wrong'. (Another of the arguments was that the NEC does not normally make unenforceable restrictions about what happens after the inspector leaves.)

I am confident everyone will watch what they plug in to insure they don't use a UL listed product whose use does not conform to the NEC.

Reply to
bud--

This is another example of things in the code that don't seem to make any sense, at least to me. If one can install multiple 15 amp outlets on a 20 amp circuit, why the restriction on installing just one?

And while we're at it, the code also says you can use a 20 amp single outlet on a 15 amp circuit, but you can't install multiple 20's on a

15 amp circuit.

Why the big distinction between single versus multiple outlets?

The feed through of a 15 amp outlet is 20 amps. You cannot install a 20 amp outlet on a 15 amp circuit Nec 210.21 B3

Reply to
RBM