Bathroom extractor fan

Dear all,

I have an extractor fan in my bathroom, which makes it very cold indeed, so I would like to block this up.

What is the most convenient method for filling in the shaft that is cut into the wall? Concrete or something else?

Thanks, Edward.

Reply to
ebuckley

On the outside, something to match the finish, i.e. bricks/render. If you don't care, bricks may still be the easiest. On the inside, cut a square from an aircrete block, you can buy single blocks at B&Q, and cut it with a saw. You could use such a block on the outside and render it it that suits. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

On 3 Nov 2006 08:55:39 -0800 someone who may be " snipped-for-privacy@iee.org" wrote this:-

Two questions:

1) Where is the fan drawing replacement air from. You may be able to arrange it so that this is drawn from a heated part of the house.

2) How will you deal with the damp air in the bathroom after removing the fan and blocking up the hole?

Reply to
David Hansen

Extractor fans are there for a purpose - to dispose of moist air, etc. Is your fan installed properly and does it have a working back draught shutter?

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Might be easier to install a new fan. My bathroom extractor fan has back-draught shutters that are spring-loaded and only open when the fan is working. If you do block the opening the filling method depends on the wall structure. For example, if it is a cavity brick wall then pouring concrete in will be a big mistake. My bathroom wall is a solid brick wall lined with plasterboard, therefore a hole would need filling with bricks and plasterboard.

Reply to
Codswallop

THis would make the bathroom damp & mouldy.

Reply to
marvelus