Moving location of extractor fan exit

Current situation:
Extractor fan in main bathroom after a shower leaves the room steamy and with condensation on the walls, in reality its useless. The fan is located in the ceiling above the bath/shower, its a 4" fan with timer and on max setting.
It is vented along some ducting to the eaves fascia board, externally I can see no exit although there us maybe a 2" gap between the brick and the fascia, in any case I aint crawling in there to find out if it exits or not.
So I have a ventilation tile on the ridge of the roof, from the exit point in the ceiling to the ridge tile is approx 11 feet, the ridge tile has an internal alminium tube already fitted, this I believe was for the `old` boiler fume exhaust (boiler since relocated) which is now extinct.
So question, if I upgrade the fan to say a 6" with higher extraction output (timer & humidity) using an expandable tube to connect am I likely to get an improvement as the fan would now be extracting vertically / diagonally instead of horizontally.

Sounds good - it would be better if you could find a specification for the ridge tile that gives the area of the ventilation.
On Sunday, 11 October 2015 21:44:38 UTC+1, ss wrote:

6" gets a lot more airflow than 4". You need a centrifugal not axial fan with ductwork. Expandable tube is bad news for airflow, use rigid whenever possible.
NT

Would plastic rigid piping be ok for the ducting?
ss wrote:

Ideal.
If you are running vertically upwards and unlagged, you ought to include a condensation trap.
http://www.vent-axia.com/range/condensation-trap.html
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Monday, 12 October 2015 00:04:07 UTC+1, ss wrote:

if its the right size
NT
Current situation:

Have you tested to see if the current fan is actually doing anything? Just put a piece of paper over it. If it doesn't stick you have a blockage somewhere.
Mike